Question GPU ???s and advice

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, and am looking for advice.

Right now, I have a Ryzen 7 2700x, with an RX580 8Gb, and an EVGA 600BR PSU. (600W, 80+ bronze)

Looking at prices today, it appears my choices are between an RTX 3060 12Gb, and an RX 6700 XT 12Gb.

It's basically just for gaming, usually 1440p, but I'm only using a 60Hz TV as a monitor, and 60-80 FPS is good enough for me. (Sometimes I'll go to 4k just for eye candy, but only for games where the higher resolution makes a real difference, and if I'm OK with 30-50 FPS, like a turn based game)

Now, the 6700 is about $60 more than the 3060, but I'm not sure about the PSU being sufficient. If I need a new one for the 6700, then that basically makes it $160 more.

What I'm trying to figure out is, while I believe the 6700 is the better card, is it $60 better? Is it $160 better? Will I notice the difference between the two cards?

Also, I'm pretty much looking at the least expensive cards, ($359 for the 3060, $419 for the 6700) does the manufacturer really matter at that level?

Here are the 2 cards I'm looking at:

Also, one last question I'm adding, I notice that both cards only have 1 HDMI slot, but I need 2. (One to TV, one to Vive) Is there any issue with using an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter?

TIA

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, and am looking for advice.

Right now, I have a Ryzen 7 2700x, with an RX580 8Gb, and an EVGA 600BR PSU. (600W, 80+ bronze)

Looking at prices today, it appears my choices are between an RTX 3060 12Gb, and an RX 6700 XT 12Gb.

It's basically just for gaming, usually 1440p, but I'm only using a 60Hz TV as a monitor, and 60-80 FPS is good enough for me. (Sometimes I'll go to 4k just for eye candy, but only for games where the higher resolution makes a real difference, and if I'm OK with 30-50 FPS, like a turn based game)

Now, the 6700 is about $60 more than the 3060, but I'm not sure about the PSU being sufficient. If I need a new one for the 6700, then that basically makes it $160 more.

What I'm trying to figure out is, while I believe the 6700 is the better card, is it $60 better? Is it $160 better? Will I notice the difference between the two cards?

Also, I'm pretty much looking at the least expensive cards, ($359 for the 3060, $419 for the 6700) does the manufacturer really matter at that level?

Here are the 2 cards I'm looking at:

Also, one last question I'm adding, I notice that both cards only have 1 HDMI slot, but I need 2. (One to TV, one to Vive) Is there any issue with using an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter?

TIA
When it comes to 1440p performance, when the 6700XT and 3060 12GB were new the 6700XT was just under 40% faster on average than the 3060 at 1440p Ultra non ray-tracing. It actually has performance within 5% of the 3070FE without ray-tracing being used. Therefore yes the 6700XT is $160 better than the 3060. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-6700-xt-review/3

In terms of power consumption the RX580 and 6700XT are comparable with both using up to 225W during gaming.

I personally have that ASRock card and it is very nice. It is quite quiet and I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Since both HDMI and DisplayPort are digital connections that can also send audio, there isn't an issue using an adapter. Lots of times you can even find a cable that is HDMI on one end and DisplayPort on the other. I have used some of those cables for stuff at work when the GPU and monitor don't have the same input/output.

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Thanks, that clears up a lot, I have trouble comparing all the data.

Good to know about the power consumption. I haven't had any issues with the 580, so it sounds like I'll be OK with the 6700 at $60 more instead of $160 more.

Especially like that you have that card and it's quiet. My 580 is an MSI OC Armor, and it sometimes gets loud enough that I have to wear headphones when gaming at night, because I'd have to turn it up too loud otherwise.

Thanks again for the info!

I would definitely advocate for the RX 6700 XT because it costs 16.7% more than the RTX 3060 but is 33% faster than the RTX 3060. Right now, every GeForce gaming card on the market looks like a complete rip-off because of the performance and value of Radeon.

Actually, this has been true for a very long time but people are only starting to now wake up to this fact. Oh well, better late than never I guess! :giggle:

Reactions: jeremyj_83

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
I would definitely advocate for the RX 6700 XT because it costs 16.7% more than the RTX 3060 but is 33% faster than the RTX 3060. Right now, every GeForce gaming card on the market looks like a complete rip-off because of the performance and value of Radeon.

Actually, this has been true for a very long time but people are only starting to now wake up to this fact. Oh well, better late than never I guess! :giggle:
Thanks for that.

I've been an AMD guy all along, but mostly based on price. Usually, it seemed as if I was getting 80-90% of the performance for 60% of the price, but with the Ryzen 2700x (bought 5 years ago, and RX 580, (7 years ago) I felt I was getting better performance AND price.

AMD/Radeon seems to have really stepped up their game.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Thanks for that.

I've been an AMD guy all along, but mostly based on price. Usually, it seemed as if I was getting 80-90% of the performance for 60% of the price, but with the Ryzen 2700x (bought 5 years ago, and RX 580, (7 years ago) I felt I was getting better performance AND price.

AMD/Radeon seems to have really stepped up their game.
They really have. There were those lean years with Polaris, Radeon VII and Vega where they really didn't compete all that well but that ended with RDNA.

With RDNA2, the smart money was on the RX 6800 XT but very few people were smart and paid more for the RTX 3080 with only 10GB instead of the 6800 XT's 16GB. I thought people were on crack to make that decision but here we are.

RDNA3 is even more competitive because AMD marketed it smart. There was no reason to make a competitor to the RTX 4090 because all the people who buy at that level only want nVidia anyway so investing in a part at that level would've been a complete waste.

Like, right now, the RX 7900 XTX is a GeForce killer because it's the second-fastest card in the world with value that I've never seen at that performance tier. The RTX 4090 is 24% faster than the RX 7900 XTX but costs $2020 while the RX 7900 XTX only costs $910. That's an increase in price of 122% but with no increase in VRAM!!! Like, what is going on here???

Taking a step down, the RTX 4080 is 2% slower than the RX 7900 XTX, which is meaningless but it costs 24% MORE than the RX 7900 XTX even though the RX 7900 XTX has 50% more VRAM. Some may disagree, but I don't believe that better performance in some ray-traced titles (that bring most cards to their knees anyway) is even remotely worth the need to bend over and take Jensen's Huang.

People are starting to realise that using Radeon is pretty much exactly the same as using GeForce but it's either faster, cheaper or both when compared to GeForce.