GPU saggin too much

Jul 23, 2018
Hey guys, so I just bought a new PC and the GPU is sagging like crazy: https://imgur.com/a/dIz2vVI The store I bought it from agrees there's something wrong.. It is not connected to the motherboard (don't know if that's alright), but it is crooked by such a huge angle, I'm afraid damage already has been done to it. I have only had it for a day, but is that an issue I should bring up with the store or is that alright?

Cheers

Solution
Well, OP says that it's not connected to the motherboard, which I thought had to be the case the way the picture shows it as well.

It looks like someone did a ham-fisted not-really-install, and it's at least bent at the PCI slots area, which MIGHT mean the video ports and where they're connected to the MB might also be compromised.

I would not touch this thing with a 10 foot pole, and would assume that, even if it could be made to work now, SOMETHING might've been damaged from that bending.

Take it back - do NOT accept the same machine back. I wouldn't want someone to unbend it and simply say that unbending it makes it fine.
It is sagging way more than I would like....but I think there's a great chance that nothing is damaged by it.

I think you have two choices.

Either try and have the store do something to make it right.....OR

Just find a way to support it. That should be really easy....and actually that might be my choice.

There is nothing actually WRONG.....other than it's sagging.

If you've already had the store admit fault then they should be willing to do something about it. There are lots of articles and video's about correcting GPU sag. Everything from Jayz2cents screw in the back of the motherboard tray, to specialty support brackets, to monofilament fishing line.

Does the GPU correct (sit straight) when you lay the PC on it's side (motherboard down)? It almost seems like the PCI bracket is bent.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, OP says that it's not connected to the motherboard, which I thought had to be the case the way the picture shows it as well.

It looks like someone did a ham-fisted not-really-install, and it's at least bent at the PCI slots area, which MIGHT mean the video ports and where they're connected to the MB might also be compromised.

I would not touch this thing with a 10 foot pole, and would assume that, even if it could be made to work now, SOMETHING might've been damaged from that bending.

Take it back - do NOT accept the same machine back. I wouldn't want someone to unbend it and simply say that unbending it makes it fine.

Solution
Jul 23, 2018
Appreciate the replies - told him I didn't paid for damged parts and he was cool about it. Got a new board and GPU. All good now.
He had never seen anything like that sag :D