Question GPU / screen flickers; is it my PSU?

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Hello,

my screen has been flickering.

I built a pc Asrock B450 Pro 4 larger profile Mobo, DDR4 8x2 Viper Ram, and Ryzen 5 2600x CV650W 80 plus Corsair psu with a 3060 ventus x2 GPU

The monitor is a 4k Sharp Roku tv.

I built it on the 26th and it worked fine for the day / night. Shut it down.
The next day it was used during the day and was shut down while I went to a friends birthday celebration.

When I returned, I started to notice some flickering, mainly with netflix and youtube (it was flickering a lot).

I tried to swap HDMI Cables but that wasn't working so I just reformated my whole HHD and reinstalled everything. The flickering persists but is very rare now and seems to only happen with chrome.

I have another almost similar build (Ryzen 5 2600, Corsair 8x2 DDR4 Ram, and Asrock B450 Pro4 and another 3060) which I put the 3060 into and it has since been working fine with no flickering, So I dont think its the GPU.

Could it just be the PSU?
I want to note that some components (mobo, ram and cpu) from flickering build came from facebook marketplace, I know I took a bit of a risk but the guy seemed straight up and swears he didn't have any problems beforehand. I have an older GPU that I could put into the build and see if it does it still or is that a waste of time? Should I just consider a new PSU?

Thank you for your time.

Edit: The psu was purchased August 2021 and worked fine in my old build (I brought it over from my old build to complete this one)
Edit2: All research was pointing towards Driver related issues, but the GPU is in another pc running same drivers and is fine.. this is why I suspect the psu.

Edit3: the hdmi cables are not top of the line, could that be effecting it?

Last edited:

mrmaruniversal

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
I have a ACER S271HL as my secondary monitor. I get small lines that will flash on the screen at times. But does not happen with any other display. Maybe try plugging in a different display device to see if the problem still occurs?

Also if you would like to test the GPU and PSU, installing the older GPU you have might help you determine some factors. 1 the GPU is older and maybe not defected. 2 Would consume less power. But lots of video cards would not eat that much power watching Netflix or Youtube. If its not wasting your time, give'em a try

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
I should note that its a black screen flicker, not lines across the screen. It was doing line flickers before format, but now its just black screen. Its like when installing new drivers and the screen flickers.

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
So I've noticed that it only blackscreen flickers like that when first loading netflix.com it doesn't seem to do it anymore after that.

I switched to a different, smaller, older tv and the flickering stopped completely. So, I figured it wasn't getting enough power from the hdmi cable; and So I went and bought a 4k ultra hdmi cable to put into my 50inch Roku... That didn't solve the flickering. maybe its just the tv? it wasnt doing it before the new pc, and also doesn't do it when unless its on the pc output, all hdmi slots seem to do it too.

Thoughts?

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Okay, and now, only a few moments later everything seems fine.. I had previously switched to a lower resolution in the display settings because I didn't like the way it looked in 4k, but I switched back with eh new 4k cable and when loading netflix it doesn't do the flicker anymore... maybe it was just that???? Makes ZERO sense to me! But it seems to be operating fine. Games run at normal temps and all that.. I'll report with any new findings if needed!

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Alright and again, it flickered :(

But it only seems to be doing it when watching Netflix... and only does it once as if its refreshing, and then it doesn't do it anymore unless i mess with the cable (I think from what i've seen)... What do we think about this?

XxLiveLivelyxX

Commendable
Jul 26, 2020
Well, after contacting Nvidia support, I've come to the conclusion that its the tv. The tv doesn't seem to like this graphics card or something. A friend suggested using a different wall outlet because it could just be that its not delivering enough power for the video card, but its only with youtube and netflix; Gaming is fine. Very very odd situation I have here. Will update when I figure it out.