[SOLVED] GPU seating blocked by case

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
View: https://imgur.com/y6z0OQw

Is it possible the way my GPU is sitting the pcie slot might be causing issues?

The back end is slightly elevated and pins are showing but not dramatically. It's fixed in screws but it wasn't going down anymore because it's blocked by the side where the screws are fit.
What do you think, could it be that some data transfer is lost because of the way its installed or if it works it works at 100 % no matter how losely is fixed in on the motherboard

View: https://imgur.com/a/BVoHDyp

The idea is that the metal marked with the red triangle is just a bit higher than the GPU height and so it just won't go fully in the slot as you can see in the first image. I guess the back plate area is bigger with a couple mm than it should be. The second pic is not of my pc because the case is closed now but that's the idea overall, i added for explanatory purpose

I have 2 PCIEX16 slots and both have this issue

I am really currious if some lost performance or data is technically possible in this case or the pins are still doing the job. I do have issues in games but not something obvious like crashes etc

Last edited:
Solution
Concerning your GPU and the PCIe slot, it wouldn't affect performance.
It would either work or not work.
My personal experience has also the option of the GPU not working properly, as OP also found out in his latest post.

Fans may work either at full speed or erratically, performance may vary and BSODs are somewhat frequent. The not working option is the most common though.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Which PCI slot are you using?

The GPU needs to be firmly and fully seated in the slot. Sometimes the GPU needs to be gently rocked into place to get the GPU fully seated.

However, if there is some physical block (i.e., the "case") to achieve full seating then something is wrong.

Add a couple more photographs to provide additional viewpoints - including the case blocking point.

Reactions: gabi222

Ralston18

Titan
Referencing the "red triangle" area.

I cannot see anything per se. However, the cover plate(s) on the far side of the GPU appear "cramped in". May be the camera angle.....

None of the cover plates nor the GPU's bracket should overlap.

I suggest that you take a closer look . A bright flashlight will help.

First loosen the screw on the GPU bracket. Then loosen the screws on the adjacent cover plates on both sides of the GPU bracket, then wiggle all of the cover plates and GPU bracket just a bit.

Hopefully all may fall into place and allow the GPU to properly and fully seat.

If not, pull the GPU and cover plates and look for some obstruction at the bottom end. Test each cover plate just by itself. If the cover plate does not go completely down and fully seat itself, find a replacement.

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Take out the GPU and try bending the top part of the GPUI/O shield (the part where the screw goes) upwards, slightly.
As @Ralston18 says, your GPU should always fit into the PCIe slot all the way.

I bent the pc case back plate outwards instead and as a result the metal ridge that makes the connection with the I/O shield has went down a bit and now finally the gpu has some more space and it looks fully inserted. I am not sure it would be possible to bend the gpu metal it looks really solid.

As a first impression it seems the GPU was not performing as it should have been

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020

Interesting, to me it seems it fixed performance in games where i had high fps reported but the image was not smooth, panning camera in every game was weird felt more like 50-70 fps instead of 144/210 etc
Weird enough, using when using a controller seems I have a higher sensitivity i only tested in a game so far but it drastically changed the responsiveness

Maybe it was skipping frames before or who knows what it was but looks like a major improvement

My personal experience has also the option of the GPU not working properly, as OP also found out in his latest post.

Fans may work either at full speed or erratically, performance may vary and BSODs are somewhat frequent. The not working option is the most common though.

Solution
Hmmm. I guess anything is possible but that's not really how PCIe contacts work.

In fact, in addition to either working or not working you actually have the potential of damaging your card, as some connectors that are meant for power delivery may contact connectors that are just meant for data (low power).