Question GPU secondary HDMI signal cuts off upon windows lock screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 20, 2023
Hallo everyone,

i have this problem and i hope someone out there can steer me towards a solution.

My current PC-Setup is:
Standard Desktop PC, with a secondary screen (wall-mounted TV) connected via HDMI-cable to the GPU's secondary HDMI port.

My problem:
Now, every time i lock windows (by CtrlAltDelete, or via Windows ScreenSaver) the HDMI-Signal to the secondary screen gets cut off.
I want the HDMI signal to the secondary screen (WallTV) to remain online and keep showing my windows-wallpaper.
(the primary screen/monitor stays perfectly online, displaying the lock screen with background image, time and date)

Background-information:
My PC is in a furniture store, we have a 3D-software for designing custom furniture. And on the secondary display (WallTV) the customer
can see what furniture we're designing for them, without having to look on my primary monitor.
Once i leave my desk, i have to lock Windows, to prevent other people access internal company data.
The Instant i lock windows, the WallTV goes black. It's still under power, just doesnt get any HDMI signal.
When i unlock windows again (be it seconds, or hours later), the WallTV gets right back to displaying an image as it should.

Question:
How can i get the secondary HDMI port to STILL send a HDMI-signal to the WallTV, even when windows is locked?

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

Edit:
My setup as far as i can make out (pc is company-controlled, i have limited access, no admin privileges):
Windows 10, all current updates
CPU: Intel Core i7 10700 @ 2.9GHz
GPU: NVidia GeForece RTX 3070, drivers presumably current

Apr 20, 2023
That's perfectly normal behavior. I'm not aware of any way to change it.
Thank you, i did research this on some other places as well, and i have pretty much gotten to the same conclusion.
Damn.

And i suppose there is also no way to work around this behaviour? Some FirmWare-Update, or some other way to "convince" the GPU to still send the HDMI signal out the 2ndary port?

Or rather (perhaps easier):
Upon Locking windows, have Windows NOT tell the GPU to deactivate the 2ndary HDMI port?
( i know im reaching for straws here...)

Thanks,
Mike

Now, every time i lock windows (by CtrlAltDelete, or via Windows ScreenSaver) the HDMI-Signal to the secondary screen gets cut off.
I want the HDMI signal to the secondary screen (WallTV) to remain online and keep showing my windows-wallpaper.
If you want secondary screen to remain online, then set your screens to duplicated mode.

If they are set to extended mode, then second screen will turn off at lock screen. This is normal.

And i suppose there is also no way to work around this behaviour? Some FirmWare-Update, or some other way to "convince" the GPU to still send the HDMI signal out the 2ndary port?
No, because it is not GPU that cuts the signal but rather Windows that stops sending signal to second monitor. So the only way would be to tell Windows to not do that - except there is no such option in Windows settings available.
However the trick SkyNetRising mentioned should work.

Apr 20, 2023
Hello DRagor and SkyNetRising,

thanks for the ideas. However, cloning the Screen would not work, it is intentional that the 2nd screen is an extension of the first one.

(Our furniture CAD program has the option to display a 3D-View of the drawing on the 2ndary screen full screen, while i do other stuff (CAD drawing, emails, calculations, paperwork, whatever) on the primary monitor, so as the customer does NOT have to look on my primary monitor).
For this to work, the desktop has to be "extended" over 2 both displays.
If i were to clone the screen, the customer would see all the things i dont want them to see.

I guess it could be possible to code a little program that switches between "clone desktop" and "extend desktop over 2 screens", and use "lock/unlock windows" as a trigger.... but thats for another forum.
Just thinking out loud.

Thanks anyways, and cheers!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS