GPU seems to be underperforming in some games???

Nov 20, 2017
My gtx 970 seems to be underperforming in certain games and im stumped as to why.

Games such as fortnite or PUBG my fps seems perfectly normal, however i recently starting playing Prey and the performance is much lower than expected (40 fps average on high settings).

So i opened msi afterburner to read some stats while playing prey and my gpu doesn't seem to be bottlenecked by anything as it is on 99% util throughout the entire game. Temperature wise it was around 70 C after about 30 minutes of playing so there doesnt seem to be thermal throttling either.

I reinstalled drivers multiple times to older and newer versions and its the same case.

My specs:
Intel i7-4790
12gb DDR3
750 w PSU
gtx 970 zotac
2tb HDD
Motherboard is made by acer i believe.

Im not sure how big of an impact a motherboard can make on something like this but maybe its affecting the performance of my gpu?

Anyways, thanks if you read through this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can provide more info when requested.

Solution

What are your temps? Also try lowering texture detail as you could be tapping into the 512mb of the 970's vram that is a lot slower.

Nov 20, 2017

GPU temps around 70 C
Cpu temps 60 - 75 C

people online are able to play on max settings so that doesnt make sense :/

Just try it can very well be something else in the background is eating some vram and tripping the gpu into the 0.5gb of slow vram. I myself also have a 970 and it sucks when this happens.

Solution
Nov 20, 2017

Hmm, i did what you suggested and no matter what preset I used the MSI resource monitor says im still using over 3.5gb of vram