Question GPU seems to cause RAM-issue? Please help

Oct 29, 2021
Hello good people,

Since quite some time now I am having some issues with my self-built PC. I built the rig a few years ago, and it ran fine up until about 6 months ago. It seems like anything that uses my GPU can cause the PC to go into some sort of self-protection mode. The issue and fix varies a bit from time to time, but these two descriptions cover basically all my experience:
  1. Starting anything that uses GPU (from relatively heavy use like Assassin's Creed Odyssey to something simple like a youtube video), causes the screen to go black and the GPU fans to spin up to high rpm. I cannot reboot by using any keyboard input. Simply forcing a power-down (keeping the power button pressed) and powering back up -sometimes- fixes this.
  2. Startup of the GPU-using application is fine, but after playing for example Diablo 2 Resurrected for a while, the PC shuts down completely. When trying to power the PC back up, only some mobo lights come on (the appropriate lights for GPU, RAM detection etc, but also including DRAM EZ debug light!) but the bootup cycle gets stuck somewhere. Reseating the RAM and/or clearing CMOS has thusfar "fixed" the bootup cycle crash thingy.
I've checked all cables, connections, etc, but this has not resulted in anything substantial. Everything is properly connected, as far as I can tell.
I've updated all drivers.
The only thing I haven't done yet is physically clean the rig.

Main question: Do you have any idea what might cause this behaviour and how to prevent it?
Secondary "brainfarts" on my part:
Could these issues be caused by too much dust (and therefore too much heat buildup)?
Is there an issue with my rig like mismatching PSU to actual power usage, or CPU/GPU/RAM matching or something?

Any help is highly appreciated.

My setup is as follows (all in "basic" setup, no OC):
  • Mobo: Z370 Krait Gaming
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
  • RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance 4GB
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
  • Storage: 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (in RAID setup, if I am not mistaken)
  • PSU: Corsair RM650i

ASK THE COMMUNITY