Question GPU seems to disconnect from the PC but I still hear everything ?

Jun 10, 2022
I've been having this issue for a long time. While playing games, the game will freeze, it seems that the monitors say they aren't plugged in anymore, and I cannot fix it outside of restarting the entire PC. I had a 500 psu and I just bought a 750 and its still happening. I've cleaned the GPU and everything, I've seen elsewhere that someone else's GTX 980 was also doing this. But I'm unsure if a solution was found?

Jun 10, 2022
Doesn’t sound good for sure, I would try and lower the clocks of the GPU and see if it still happens then.

How can I go about lowering the clocks? Also, is that normal? Also I looked at MSI afterburner and its all blank now? That's never been like that its all 0 or blank in all spots.

What are a 500 PSU and a 750 PSU? Just knowing wattages is like asking the mechanic for advice about your car and only identifying the size of the gas tank.

Like a CX500 and the new one I just installed is a EVGA 750W GQ GOLD if that works. I don't know a whole lot about PSUs.

Jun 10, 2022
So I went into MSI Afterburner and took a look at the (Core Clock Mhz) setting and set it to -400 and everything seems to be running fairly well at the moment. I will keep you all updated.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
So I went into MSI Afterburner and took a look at the (Core Clock Mhz) setting and set it to -400 and everything seems to be running fairly well at the moment. I will keep you all updated.
So what I suspected is true, the GPU is just old and degraded, it can’t keep the original clocks anymore. I don’t think you have to lower it that much, try -10 for starters and decrease it by another 10s until it is stable. Test it with 3DMark Firestrike every time.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022
Day 2, I haven't changed it off -400 yet because I'd have to do a bit of experimenting to get it to work. But day 2 on -400 and still no issues whatsoever. Even left the game on and stream running on accident overnight and woke up to it still on. The issue might be truly resolved.

TRENDING THREADS