Question Gpu seems to shut down for a fraction of a second, every 20/30 seconds.

Jul 4, 2022
View: https://imgur.com/a/fyMMWk4

According to the temperature reader on Msi afterburner, every now and then my 1050ti seems to ''disconnect'' for a fraction of second. on the graph you sometimes can see constant drops to 0 degrees C. the same readings are shown in GPU-Z.
Sometimes it even says ''lost connection to gpu''. sometimes it drops once or twice every 10 minutes and sometimes it's perfectly fine and has no drops or dc's at all. there seems to be no logic to it. even if the drops are constant, the moment I open a game for example, all drops immediately stop and I can game for hours with no problem, which makes me think that overheating is not the problem.

What do you guys make of this? just signs of a dying Gpu?

Some info:
Medion Erazer Laptop, 1050Ti with most recent drivers installed, i7-7700
idle/or low usage = 46/47 degrees celsius
intensive gaming = usually around 70/75 max 82 C
laptop is 4.5 years old, used daily for gaming and rendering.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is your laptop on the latest BIOS version? TO rule out a driver issue, first make sure your OS is up to date, then use DDU to uninstall all GPU drivers prior and then manually reinstall your GPU driver(with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

With regards to temps, since the laptop has been in service, have you replaced the thermal paste for higher quality stuff...and to see if the vents aren't clogged?

Jul 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is your laptop on the latest BIOS version? TO rule out a driver issue, first make sure your OS is up to date, then use DDU to uninstall all GPU drivers prior and then manually reinstall your GPU driver(with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

With regards to temps, since the laptop has been in service, have you replaced the thermal paste for higher quality stuff...and to see if the vents aren't clogged?

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I have no idea if the BIOS is updated, let alone what a BIOS is haha but ill see what I can find.
as far as laptop care, it has never been to the shop (apart from a screen replacement) so it's the ''default'' thermal paste. I do clean it from time to time so it is relatively clean.
I will try to use DDU for a clean instal, since I have messed around with driver rollback in recent months now you mention it. thanks for the tip.
but do you think the gpu is actually turning off every now and then (which is assume isn't great for it's health) or is it just a reading/software error?