[SOLVED] GPU Severely underperforming (Laggy/choppy sound and huge stutters)

geogrgeporoia

Commendable
Feb 26, 2018
My Sapphire R9 Fury is severely underperforming for some reason in my new system.My old system had the PSU (Xilence Performance A+ 630W) frying both CPU and Mobo (The cable got fried,not the PSU tho).
Now,with a Ryzen 5 2600x and an MSI B450M A-Pro motherboard,my GPU stutters and lags in heavy-Graphic games with light reflection etc. without thermal throttling and then it crashes the PC prompting me into a Black Screen,interstingly the sound also gets very choppy-like and laggy before crashing.
Userbenchmark shows a huge performance drop in DX11,and during DX11 tests the sound got very choppy and laggy but thankfully it didn't crash so i got the results.
Now,i can't pinpoint wether it's the PSU that's causing the problem or the GPU itself,all the other components are working like they should.

Old Benchmark:https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14065436
New Benchmark:https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/36546986

I have an HD 7970 and i think it's working,so i can test with that if required.

Solution
How come the PSU cable was fried and not the PSU? It's not common to only have the cable melt, unless you were using adapters.

The most probable thing is that psu was the reason behind the fried cable or it was affected as well.

Nevertheless, I would not use a psu that was a part when something in the pc fried.

Try the gpu in another system with a proper psu or try another reliable psu in yours and see if the issue remains.
How come the PSU cable was fried and not the PSU? It's not common to only have the cable melt, unless you were using adapters.

The most probable thing is that psu was the reason behind the fried cable or it was affected as well.

Nevertheless, I would not use a psu that was a part when something in the pc fried.

Try the gpu in another system with a proper psu or try another reliable psu in yours and see if the issue remains.

Solution

geogrgeporoia

Commendable
Feb 26, 2018

Yes,the HD 7970 crashed at 71C during the plane benchmark in UserBenchmark,I very highly suspect the PSU for all the faults.I will use my GPU,it doesn't stutter or shut off in light games like League and just browsing so I think I will use it till the new Enermax revolution D.F 750W arrives.

Reactions: dotas1