News GPU Shortages Will Worsen Thanks to Coin Miners

andrewkelb

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
Miners in a mad rush to pay anything for GPUs vs scalpers buying them all up to sell them to miners at 3 times the price. Had plans to upgrade from my GTX 1070 but it looks like that will be near impossible. Thankfully the 1070 is still a good card that plays most things well.

57Stew

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Are these electronic fiat currencies just based on how much electricity you waste and how much you needlessly contribute to climate change? Can't we find something a little more useful to base a new currency on? Besides I built a new x570 pc with a 3950 and used my rx850 in it wanting to wait for next gen gpu. Now I will be waiting a lot longer. Hope bitcoin and the rest crashes hard.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I've seen cryptocurrency articles making the front page of every news source I check over the past several days. The word is out there and getting even stronger, so the shortages are going to continue and get worse. People are buying those scalped GPUs too because the cryptocurrency craze makes even the elevated prices profitable after a while.

Maybe we'll be able to buy GPUs again in the fall or winter. There's a several-months-long lag between cryptocurrency crashes and GPU price corrections and availability improvements.

PC gaming is not worth this level of expense and effort.

USAFRet

Titan
put a bios on them that detects mining activity and burns the card. F those guys.
Nvidia and AMD should somehow modify their non-workstation RTX cards to be incapable mining. and/or design a card specificaly for mining.
A sale to a gamer is a sale
A sale to a miner is a sale

Same money to them.
Gamers hurt feelings don't matter, because gamers will still buy them anyway.

andrewkelb

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
I have always been a proud member of the PCMR, my RAM and CPU cooler both glow a needless shade of blue for god's sake! But now I think sacrilegious thoughts... maybe it time to just look into a console if they ever get back in stock?

A sale to a gamer is a sale
A sale to a miner is a sale

Same money to them.
Gamers hurt feelings don't matter, because gamers will still buy them anyway.

Gamers simply will be apalled and will not buy anything. Thus naturally slowing down sales and GPU prices. In end manufacturers are ones who want the money, not gamers.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Simply push politics to introduce laws against cryptomining with harsh penalties. And bounty on cryptominer and spammer heads. Problem solved.
How would authorities ever enforce something like that? Are the courts going to start issuing warrants to search the peoples' homes for mining farms if they have a higher electricity bill?

Reactions: phenomiix6

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
The analysis here is kinda backward. If there's a lot of mining activities, then prices wouldn't rise so rapidly. I think a lot of large operations have abandoned mining altogether, having discovered that it's far profitable to trade crypto-currencies.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Are these electronic fiat currencies just based on how much electricity you waste and how much you needlessly contribute to climate change? Can't we find something a little more useful to base a new currency on? Besides I built a new x570 pc with a 3950 and used my rx850 in it wanting to wait for next gen gpu. Now I will be waiting a lot longer. Hope bitcoin and the rest crashes hard.

Totally understand your frustration, but can we really expect a modern currency to take any other form than electrical? The problem isn't necessarily the format but the speculative nature of it and the swings in value. Though a crash is tempting to temporarily alleviate stock problems, the best thing for gamers and bitcoin as an actual currency would be stability of price. Changes in price, up and then down, are what the speculators are profiting from.

PC gaming is not worth this level of expense and effort.

I'm on a nearly 10 year old PC and dying for an upgrade but the effort required really isn't worth it. You are right. Sourcing rare and price-inflated parts kills the fun.

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
The casual miners mine when they are done playing games. In my area, electricity is down to .06 KW/h off peak times so it's even more incentive. I did it for a couple years and just kept the wallet. It's up, but realistically if I sold now sure it would pay for the card and electricity I used to mine, but not worth the time really.

Makaveli

Splendid
No doubt someone's gonna figure out how to use consoles for mining.... 😡

Hope not,

Those cooling setups in those consoles aren't going to be designed for a sustained mining load for days at a time.

I see a lot of people leaving PC gaming for console gaming .. and not coming back. Future generations will also go the console route. This mining crap is helping to kill PC gaming.

No real PC gamer would switch to a console.

PCMasterRace is for life.

Maybe own both and use both but give up PC forever nah.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Simply push politics to introduce laws against cryptomining with harsh penalties. And bounty on cryptominer and spammer heads. Problem solved.

Perhaps you can try coming out with a reason why cryptomining should be illegal. So far, I have never seen any violence/deaths etc.... due to cryptomining. On the contrary cryptomining is helping companies and investors make money.... Power companies get rich, GPU companies get rich. Investors happy.

luissantos

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Perhaps you can try coming out with a reason why cryptomining should be illegal. So far, I have never seen any violence/deaths etc.... due to cryptomining. On the contrary cryptomining is helping companies and investors make money.... Power companies get rich, GPU companies get rich. Investors happy.

Well, there's that one thing called "the environment". I mean, we don't really need it or anything, but I suppose it's a relatively good "nice to have".

That aside, banning mining sounds rather unenforceable. Particularly if you understand how cryptocurrencies work.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I see a lot of people leaving PC gaming for console gaming .. and not coming back. Future generations will also go the console route.
No, this isn't new. Some people get pulled in by the perks of being able to run higher graphics settings and smoother gameplay - among other things - Vs console, only to find that they bit off more than they can chew.
PC is MUCH more involved than consoles are, and a number of them didn't sign up for that - they wanted a gaming PC, and they wanted it to RUN, not deal with:
-Maintenance, aka, 'clean yo stuff'. Though the same applies to consoles, but it's easier and won't suffer as much from the lazy folks.
-Driver and bios updates. On console, there's almost none of that there, save for some software/firmware updates, and those are automatic for the most part(permissions).
-OS updates and clean installing it after motherboard changes. Console: Not a concern there.
-Troubleshooting problems can be time consuming, as well as become expensive on PC. Console isn't as bad here.
-PC requires some planning in advance. Console? 'Just buy it'!
Those are the ones who drop PC gaming.

Being able to pick your own parts can be a blessing and a curse. Extreme example: Ever seen someone buy a prebuilt custom liquid PC, and not know jack-all about custom liquid? That's a disaster waiting to happen.
PC(DIY), overclocking, and custom liquid are all the same in my eyes: hobbies. They're not going to be for everyone; those folks can stick with console and PC(prebuilt/OEM).

In other words, the rich stay rich, and the poor stay poor - and the middle gets shafted too!
Oh, what an economy we all live in:
-when the wealthy are the minority of the world population,
-companies and investors expect greater and greater profits every year(it's not sustainable)
-and these entities try their darnedest to keep the bubble going for as long as possible - once it's popped, they're safe with their millions/billions/etc that they milked through whatever means. The majority of the populous is SCREWED - no lube.
Perhaps that's part of why so many people appear upset?
¯\(ツ)

Reactions: King_V and Krotow

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008

Is strange how nobody care about climate change and promote cryptocurrency.

I see a lot of people leaving PC gaming for console gaming .. and not coming back. Future generations will also go the console route.
Don't think so. PC gaming is superior in several ways:
  • Better graphics quality.
  • Doesn't require to purchase another e-waste and spare your money.
  • Less trouble with relatives or superiors who want to use TV at the same time or simply don't like that you are playing games instead of (add any boring or unnecessary stuff here).
  • No troubles with game modding.
  • Full scale of software for anything.
Etc. etc. In fact consoles are good only for teens who want to party behind same TV screen. Or unmarried singles with only casual plants and zombies style gaming in mind. Also consoles are evil because game porting to consoles dumbed down PC gaming and introduced checkpoint saves instead of normal manual saves (like we have no gigabytes of free storage at today). Anyone who have other responsibilities in life except gaming should agree with this. Feel free to replay a level for next half of hour umpteen time again because you got disturbed by some responsibility or died exactly before next checkpoint.

Last edited: