[SOLVED] GPU shuts down my PC the second it gets under load

Oct 3, 2021
Hello, so few days ago I started having this issue. I casually played some games, until my PC decided to crash, I've been looking for a while for possible things that might be going on, and I found out, that when I start the MSI Kombustor (GPU Benchmark) the second it loads in, my pc just crashes. CPU goes through the benchmark just fine.
I also completely wiped out my PC and reinstalled windows, which actually managed to fix the problem, but only for about a day.

I've tried reseating the GPU, incase it was a bit wobbly, but seems just fine.
I'm not overclocking any of my specs.
I've never experienced anything like this before with my setup.
After posting this, I realised my GPU temp on basically 0-2% load is 49°C, which doesn't seem right. What are the possible solutions for this as well?

My specs:
GPU: ASUS GTX 970 4GB
CPU: I5-2500K 3.3GHz
RAM: (4x4GB) HyperX, Corsair 1333MHz
MB: ASUS P8Z68-V pro GEN3
PSU: Corsair HX750W
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 + standard Corsair 120mm fan
HDD: SEAGATE 1TB
SSD: Kingston A400 250GB

Last edited:
Solution
It's very possible it's a PSU issue. Whilst your is pretty good, it could be dying. Random restarts normally point to a PSU properly. Can you get one to swap out and test? Maybe from a friend, or you might have a second PC.

Otherwise bring to local repair store, and pay £$€20 for them to swap it out and test.
It's very possible it's a PSU issue. Whilst your is pretty good, it could be dying. Random restarts normally point to a PSU properly. Can you get one to swap out and test? Maybe from a friend, or you might have a second PC.

Otherwise bring to local repair store, and pay £$€20 for them to swap it out and test.

Solution

ssbaraskar99

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
You sure if GPU is not overheating ?
Because,
When you start your machine GPU clocks are low, as there is no 3D load.
GPU is probably overheating as soon as you started MSI Kombustor, it enters in 3D mode & clock speeds are increased which also increases temperature & it shuts down.
Try reapplying thermal paste (good quality good brand, high thermal conductivity).

if this doesn't solve, then :
How much wattage does your GPU consumes according to specifications ?