[SOLVED] GPU shuts down while playing most games

Jul 10, 2020
So i started this build a few years back and recently finished it. I am having issues with my GPU shuts down while playing most games (Destiny 2 will play all day on max settings). most games will shut the GPU down within a few seconds to about 30 min. I have a custom cooling loop and aquaero 6 controller. CPU temp has never gone over 72c during stress test and sits around 68c during gameplay. The GPU is about 3 years newer than the rest of the pc.

MSI godlike gaming x99a mobo
i7-5960x small OC @ 3.7ghz CPU
16gb ram @ 3200mhz

MSI RTX 2080 Ti gaming x trio GPU 21 pin power 8,8,6 each with its own rail
PSU Thermal take DPS 1050w

Aquaero 6 Fancontroler

Solution
MSI.CentralServer.exe and error-
MSI.NotifyServer.exe
Are you running any 3rd party Msi apps besides Afterburner? Dragon Center, Rivatuner, Mystic Light, etc?
If so, uninstall them, because it sounds to me that the app(s) is trying to send telemetry data, failing, and screwing with the game's executable.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Unstable overclocks.
-Running outdated drivers.
-Psu not up to the task anymore.
-You've got one of the defective 2080Tis. They did have a rather high RMA rate...
-Gpu overheating.
-Gpu riser cable is defective(if doing V-gpu).

I don't actually know. That's what comes to mind based on what you've posted so far.

Jul 10, 2020
-Unstable overclocks.
-Running outdated drivers.
-Psu not up to the task anymore.
-You've got one of the defective 2080Tis. They did have a rather high RMA rate...
-Gpu overheating.
-Gpu riser cable is defective(if doing V-gpu).

I don't actually know. That's what comes to mind based on what you've posted so far.

I did have a faulty riser cable at the begining ( had a short) but i replaced it. just today i installed a new gen4 riser cable, didnt fix my issue. i have tested my PSU with a meter and through hardware monitoring. i have tried multiple drivers. ive ruled out overheating. im worried it could be defective i sure hope not, i doubt its under warranty.

Ferimer

Distinguished
I did have a faulty riser cable at the begining ( had a short) but i replaced it. just today i installed a new gen4 riser cable, didnt fix my issue. i have tested my PSU with a meter and through hardware monitoring. i have tried multiple drivers. ive ruled out overheating. im worried it could be defective i sure hope not, i doubt its under warranty.
Have you been watching the temps while you game? say with something like AFterburner installed to have an On-screen-display up while you are gaming to ensure that everything temperature wise is actually staying low?

Jul 10, 2020
Have you been watching the temps while you game? say with something like AFterburner installed to have an On-screen-display up while you are gaming to ensure that everything temperature wise is actually staying low?

yes i have aquaero with a custom display that monitors my temps in real time, the aquasuite software has data logs that i use. the highest GPU temp I've recorded was 74c.

Did you test with all overclocks - cpu, XMP, gpu - removed?

I have not tried that yet, the GPU has never been overclocked and the cpu has a small 0.7 OC. ill play around with it and see what i get. Also im running my OS on a M.2 ssd, m.2 was fairly new when i bought my mobo. i've been out of the PC game for quite a while.

What MOBO drivers specifically should i look at in reguards to the functionality of my GPU?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What MOBO drivers specifically should i look at in reguards to the functionality of my GPU?
Audio: If you're running a sound card, or HDMI/DP to the gpu... in Device Manager > Sound, video, and game controllers, leave that specific driver enabled and disable the other.
Lan: Bluetooth, network, and WiFi... just update the ones you actually use
SATA
Chipset
USB
Intel Management Engine
Bios: Do this one when all other routes have been explored

Jul 10, 2020
Audio: If you're running a sound card, or HDMI/DP to the gpu... in Device Manager > Sound, video, and game controllers, leave that specific driver enabled and disable the other.
SATA
Chipset
USB
Intel Management Engine
ok so ive spent the last few days messing with overclocks and drivers, both with the newest bios and the oldest. its strange that i can run destiny2 and diablo 3 with no crash but shortly after loading a game like pc builder sim the gpu crashes (sound still works, can hear myself moving in game). Ive even been able to run 3dmark without a crash

Jul 10, 2020
SATA
Chipset
USB
Intel Management Engine
ok so ive spent the last few days messing with overclocks and drivers, both with the newest bios and the oldest. its strange that i can run destiny2 and diablo 3 with no crash but shortly after loading a game like pc builder sim the gpu crashes (sound still works, can hear myself moving in game). Ive even been able to run 3dmark without a crash
That's an indie game, isn't it? That could a number of things.
Does event viewer tell you what caused the crash in that game? That would narrow it down a lot.
its not just that game that causes the crash. ive found error- MSI.CentralServer.exe and error-
MSI.NotifyServer.exe, under application tab in event viewer and the only thing under system is unexpected shutdown from me hitting reset.
i need to find something that i can use to test and keep a log after hitting reset, if anyone knows a good program