Question GPU shuts off - Fresh Windows install ?

May 7, 2022
Hey guys, I just completed my build and installed windows 10 and once windows starts updating I lose picture on my screen. I've tried the install 3 separate times and I get the same issue. I've also tried installing without any internet connection and it works fine up until I connect the ethernet cable to the PC. I can see the PC downloading drivers for the mouse and keyboard and then my screen goes black. The GPU looks like it shuts off completely as the fans stop spinning on it. Restarting the computer via the power button gets the MB post screen but then goes to a black screen. Any idea what could be causing me to get a black screen? All components are new.

AMD Ryzen 5600
MSI GeForce RTX 3060
Auros B550 elite Motherboard
Samsung 970 pro M.2 SSD
16GB G.Skill ripjaw 3200mhz ram
Corsair CXM 650watt PSU

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. Please include the age of the unit as well. As for your OS, where did you source the installer from? You should try and install the OS in offline mode(disconnected from the www), then manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. In order to do the latter, you're going to have to source/download the drivers onto a pen drive off of a donor system.

May 7, 2022
I was able to install the driver in safe mode but after restarting to finish the install the same thing happens. I get the splash screen and then black screen. GPU fans are off. Is it possible I have a bad GPU?

Selynelar

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Check in the bios if your vga is set to pcie and not to integrated.
Settings-Initial Display Output- Choose which slot your card in
And the integrated graphics you can disable as long you dont want to use it.

You can give a try for a Bios update. With new motherboard is recommended because it not sure it comes out from the factory with the latest bios version.

Most probably windows downloads your integrated vga driver and set it to your primary display. That is what I think.

May 7, 2022
Check in the bios if your vga is set to pcie and not to integrated.
Settings-Initial Display Output- Choose which slot your card in
And the integrated graphics you can disable as long you dont want to use it.

You can give a try for a Bios update. With new motherboard is recommended because it not sure it comes out from the factory with the latest bios version.

Most probably windows downloads your integrated vga driver and set it to your primary display. That is what I think.
The motherboard that I have automatically detects if I have integrated graphics, so since my CPU doesn't have it I don't get an option to enable/disable it. It is set to the PCIE slot by default. I just verified this to be sure. I have the F15 bios on the motherboard. I believe this is the latest but I will double check. I don't think it's windows because I tried downloading the nvidia driver directly from a usb drive without the internet connection in safe mode. I tested without the internet connection to make sure windows doesn't attempt to download anything. Unless Windows is switching the default display when it has the nvidia driver installed. If this is the case that would be an issue as the screen goes black once the driver is installed. My GPU seems to shut-off when this happens as the fans don't spin whereas before the driver install they are spinning. I'm stumped.

May 7, 2022
So I returned the GPU since I had a few days left within the return period and got a power cooler 6700 XT this time around. Initially the card had no image. So I changed the power supply next and same issue, black screen on boot. I decided to change hdmi ports for the hell of it and I instantly got a picture. I was able to do all my driver updates and the computer is running smoothly. Not sure if my hdmi port was bad all along or it's just coincidence that it crapped out when I put the new card. I would get a picture with the other GPU but would lose it on driver updates. This made me think maybe I had a bad card. This new card had no picture at first but after changing the power supply and changing the input I have picture. In the end not sure if I had a combination of a bad card, power supply, and hdmi port going bad. Very strange but it finally is up and running. Thanks to all for the help.