Question GPU shuts off under load, have to apply physical pressure to make it turn on again

Oct 4, 2023
Howdy all, I know questions like this have been asked but I was unable to find any that matched my exact circumstances.
Basically, my GPU has recently (within the past month) developed the tendency to turn off whenever it is put under heavy load, most often at the moment a game or benchmarking program is launched. I can tell the GPU has powered off because the lights on it go out, but everything else seems to continue working fine, as I can still hear the game audio and my keyboard inputs sound like they're being recognized.
If I physically press down on the card at this point, it powers on again, but my PC also reboots itself. Then it will be fine until the next time I try to run something graphically intensive.
I've tried the second PCI slot on my mobo, and the GPU stopped losing power, but I think there was a conflict with my SSD because the performance was significantly worse and I started getting BSODs (WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error).

Does this seem like it's a bad PCI slot, or something else? The "fix" is what makes it weird to me, I haven't found other examples of other people needing to wiggle their card to get it working again after it loses power for some reason. I have about a month of time left in this mobo's warranty, so I could try to get it fixed, but other than that I'm not sure what to do.

My specs are as follows:
Motherboard: ASUS Prime X570-P (AM4)
CPU: Ryzen 5600x
RAM: 4 8 GB sticks DDR4
GPU: ASUS Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070
Storage: 2TB NVME SSD, 2TB HDD
PSU: EVGA 750 G2

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU?

I've tried the second PCI slot on my mobo, and the GPU stopped losing power
Reads like the PCIe slot might have loose contacts/pins.

Might want to inspect the PCIE slot and see if the slot itself is damaged. It also looks like you don't have anything propping the card in the upright position to allow for it to sage. Honestly, what you're doing in the video is not how you revive a GPU's connection. I'd also try and drop the GPU into another motherboard and see if the issue persists on donor system/motherboard as well.

BIOS version for your motherboard?

Reactions: aroguecop
Oct 4, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU?

I've tried the second PCI slot on my mobo, and the GPU stopped losing power
Reads like the PCIe slot might have loose contacts/pins.

Might want to inspect the PCIE slot and see if the slot itself is damaged. It also looks like you don't have anything propping the card in the upright position to allow for it to sage. Honestly, what you're doing in the video is not how you revive a GPU's connection. I'd also try and drop the GPU into another motherboard and see if the issue persists on donor system/motherboard as well.

BIOS version for your motherboard?
The PSU is from 2016, it was part of my first PC build, and it's seen pretty regular use ever since then. Is that a lot longer than these are supposed to last? We may have just solved the problem there.

I can post a picture of the PCIe slot in a little bit since I wouldn't really know what to look for in terms of damage. I didn't see anything physically wrong with it, other than the clip that holds it down having some damage on the plastic edges where I've struggled with it to get the card to pop out during the several times I've reseated it. I have tried buying a dedicated GPU prop and using it to hold the card up, but the problem still seemed to occur at the same rate and get triggered under the same circumstances.

I apologize for the cave-mannish way I've been getting the GPU to power on again, I figured it was because of some loose connection and that seemed to be doing the trick at least in the short term.

I just updated the BIOS yesterday, it's currently version 4802 released 06/15/2023.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'd definitely RMA this. It's almost certainly a motherboard problem and since it's not something you can actually fix, all you can do at this point is lose your free replacement. I'd recommend still using the brace to hold up the GPU on a new motherboard and avoid this from becoming a problem!

Reactions: aroguecop
Oct 4, 2023
I've gone ahead and submitted an RMA request, hopefully they come through for me. If it ends up being the case that it's still not working following whatever repair/replacement happens, I guess the next thing I'll try is the PSU.

Are the screws holding down the card at the rear i/o panel very secure?
Your video suggests they might be loose.
Graphics cards are getting heavier and the non working end tends to sag.
There are support kits available to fix this.
In the mean time, try placing the pc on it's side so that the motherboard is horizontal.