GPU signal delay at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2018
Hello!
I would like to describe my "problem" with GPU video signal delay, that happens at every startup. Every time I turn on my PC VGA led on motherboard starts flashing. This takes 10-15 seconds and after that my PC starts booting up.

I do not know why it takes so long that the PC recognizes the GPU. Bios time in task manager shows me somewhere around 17 seconds. None of my componnents is overclocked.

Is that something I should worry about? How could I fix that issue?

Thank you in advance!

SPECS: Ryzen 5 1600, GTX 1060 3gb (latest drivers), MSI B350 PC Mate motherboard, Kingston A400 SSD, 16gb RAM, windows 10 (1803).

This is most likely the issue with your monitor having a large interval between checking if there is a signal. When you turn on the monitor, there is no signal, and it goes into power save mode, and doesn't check again until several seconds into the boot up process. It's pretty normal.

You could try turning on the monitor after the PC has started booting up. That may help, though sometimes monitors also have a bootup process up their own, and don't turn on instantly.

Oct 31, 2018
thank you for quick responses. I already tried turning monitor on afrer startup of PC. It did not help. But why vga led on my MOBO is flashing for 10 seconds? When I built that PC I did not have problems. The delay appeared after a month of using it. It is not a big deal for me, since PC works completely fine, but it is just weird problem.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That should be a good unit. The next thing I'd suggest is the motherboard itself. Do you have access to another gxf card to test with? If the issue happens with the 2nd card, it would point to a board problem. Likewise, if it started normally with the 2nd card, then you'd suspect your GTX 1060 was bad.

There's also the possibility that another component is bad. Try unplugging all the drives, KB, mouse, everything that is connected to the PC. Start the PC and see if the issue is still present. If so, unplug the display from the card and try again. Obviously there'll be no picture, but see if the PC starts immediately.

Oct 31, 2018

Thank you for response. I tried what you suggested, but without success. I also searched the web for similar issues and found out that long post time is a common issue with B350 boards. In most cases BIOS update solved the problem.

My question is: I have BIOS from 2017, so it is not up to date. I know how to update it, but is it 100% safe to do that? Could anything bad happen to my PC when updating BIOS?
Thank you!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Updating the BIOS isn't the danger it used to be. I do all my machines every time one of them has a newer BIOS update available. As long as you know how, your machine is stable, and there's no power outage during the update, all should go well.
Does that board offer a Windows environment BIOS update, or does it require doing it in BIOS only? Both work.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Does this happen with other gfx cards in your machine? Or did you already try that?
What happens during those 10 seconds exactly... mine takes about 4 seconds before there's a display produced.

Oct 31, 2018

I will describe the whole startup process, what happens and all durations:
ACTION DURATION
1. I press the start button 0s
2. CPU led flashing (than off) 3s
3. GPU led flashing (than off) 11s
monitor gets signal
4. PC booting up 15s
5. login screen appears

Reactions: david slayer

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It would appear that either the board's chip set isn't recognizing the card in the slot initially or the card isn't providing feedback initially.
1) Have you tested the card in another machine?
2) Have you tested another card in your machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.