[SOLVED] GPU Signal Lost on Windows Login Screen

Gruxer

Honorable
Apr 2, 2015
Hey guys,

Here is the deal:
I have 2 PCs, both with RX 580s. Wife left the PC on all night and said that when she returned to it, the screen was frozen / non-responsive and she restarted the PC.
After the PC was restarted, it would make it through BIOS boot screen and Windows login screen but then freeze and lose GPU signal.

To rule out everything else, I simply swapped the GPUs in between the 2 PCs and sure enough, her PC started working without issues and when I put her GPU into mine, my PC would start having the same problem.
So long story short, it's the GPU issue. What I have tried:

1. Cleaned out all the dust.
  2. Cleaned and re-applied thermal paste.
  3. Inspected for any damaged caps / resistors etc. I don't see anything that would be a suspect.

Is there anything else I can try? Can this be fixed? Anyone had similar issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If uninstalling or reinstalling drivers I would do all of the things required to enter safe mode, only instead of choosing safe mode I would select "Enable low-resolution video mode." Sometimes GPU drivers just don't uninstall properly in safe mode unless you are using a 3rd party utility like DDU to do it (and historically AMD drivers have refused to uninstall if the AMD GPU was not installed... which explains the existence of such utilities)

There's a good chance that a degraded card can still work at lower clocks, so you could try using the overclocking tools built into the AMD driver to underclock both core and memory speeds--I suppose the speeds of a RX 480 would be a good place to start. You'd have to set it up with your card and save it so the driver sets the new clocks on Windows boot, then swap cards. Or if you are more adventurous then you could use a Polaris vBIOS editor and flash the bad card with the lower speeds permanently.

I have to say though that if it crashes when idling on the desktop, then only a vBIOS editor can adjust those clocks and voltages. And usually the card operates at full speed until the driver loads to enable the idle clocks so presumably that could also occur and crash before the underclocked settings set in the driver apply as well.