Question GPU slot no display

avenirk9

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018
Is anyone familiar with this issue? for some reason if i put my gpu into my top slot of my motherboard, there will be no display. If i use the bottom one, it shows up without any issues. This problem exists with my 950 and my new 2060. Not sure what could have caused this but both dvi and hdmi dont show display when plugged into the gpu. msi z390 a pro motherboard.

ötzi

Proper
Apr 2, 2022
You made a previous post with the same question?

As I told in that post:
Please state your full specs...
The top PCI-E slot as in PCI_E1 and the bottom slot PCI_E4? These two slots use a different controller,
PCI_E1 gets 16 lanes from the CPU and PCI_E4 gets 4 lanes from the chipset, what CPU are you running? Looks like a missing driver or a faulty CPU.
In the BIOS PCI-E subsystems menu, do you have "PEG" set to auto and the "above 4G decoding" to disabled?

@jasonf2
a jumper for reallocating PCI-E lanes? Must be a first on consumer boards...

Last edited:

jasonf2

Distinguished
Check the PCI-e lane allocation setup on your motherboard. It is probably configured to give the lower slot all of the lanes and either minimal lane support or shut off entirely to the other one. Read your motherboard manual to find the jumper or bios settings to reallocate the lanes.

avenirk9

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018
You made a previous post with the same question?

As I told in that post:
Please state your full specs...
The top PCI-E slot as in PCI_E1 and the bottom slot PCI_E4? These two slots use a different controller,
PCI_E1 gets 16 lanes from the CPU and PCI_E4 gets 4 lanes from the chipset, what CPU are you running? Looks like a missing driver or a faulty CPU.
In the BIOS PCI-E subsystems menu, do you have "PEG" set to auto and the "above 4G decoding" to disabled?

@jasonf2
a jumper for reallocating PCI-E lanes? Must be a first on consumer boards...

my bad, posted on a few different forums and didn't realize I already posted here. also didn't get notified for getting any responses in my mail.

i5-9600k
RTX 2060 OC 6gb, RTX 3060 OC 12gb, GTX 950 - all have this problem
msi z390-a pro
16 gb corsair ddr4 3200mz
Coolermaster V550 SFX Gold

my motherboard has one top slot with a metal casing around it, and a lower slot that's just black. A while ago my top slot with the metal casing used to work, but suddenly stopped showing display. I then realized it showed display again when I put it into the lower slot (about a year ago). When this problem happened, I don't recall doing anything to the PC it just randomly was like that one day. This problem is also there with my old i3 8300 and my brand new i5 9600k that I got a bit ago. I use driver booster pro for drivers and have tried manually installing the drivers from nvidia and the msi website (for the motherboard update). Also, yes, PEG is auto and that is disabled.

Last edited: