[SOLVED] GPU smells smoky

Matthew.51

Prominent
Jun 6, 2020
Was using chrome with YouTube and some other tabs as well as discord and i noticed a werid buring smell.
Shut my pc off and it was around the gpu.
Removed the gpu from the pc and the smell radiated from the gpu. Was still working when i noticed the smell and shut down. Now im to worried to trun the system back on any idears.

Solution
If it is the motherboard would plugging in a new GPU be wise, would it happen again?

For us, it is impossible to tell what fried the GPU. Though, i doubt it was MoBo, since MoBo only communicates with GPU and sends up to 75W of power to it. Bulk of the power comes from PSU. Speaking of that;

700w 80+ bronze Gigabyte

It doesn't tell much. What is the model (or part number) of it?

It is possible that your PSU sent out of spec voltages to GPU, thus frying it. And without model name, i can't tell if your PSU is good or not (e.g how suspicious it would be).

Though, it is always a possibility that something on GPU itself died (e.g manufacturing defect) and for that reason, GPU has warranty. Since if none of the components...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Ideas? If you have iGPU, plug your monitor to your MoBo and power on. Look if PC works.

If not, best to get/buy another dedicated GPU.

As far as what burned on your GPU, look it closely if you can see burn marks and/or melted plastic on it.
But i wouldn't put the burnt GPU back in your PC. It may go up in flames and kill the rest of the PC as well.

Nov 11, 2021
Hi Mattew,

More than likely, a component on the board, such as a MOSFET or inductor, has failed, and your card is toast.

Try to consult MSI's if still in warranty. If not better to get another GPU.
Cheers

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I dont have any integrated graphics.

And for that reason, it is advised that you always list your full system specs. Since if i would've known it, i would've not suggested it.

And im worried if i take gpu apart then i would void the warranty if its still on there

Yes, you will void GPU warranty if you take it apart. Best to RMA it.

Matthew.51

Prominent
Jun 6, 2020
And for that reason, it is advised that you always list your full system specs. Since if i would've known it, i would've not suggested it.

Yes, you will void GPU warranty if you take it apart. Best to RMA it.
Im sorry I did not post the specs. when i made the post I was on my phone and it was late in night and i have been in work for the rest of the day.

R5 2600x
B450 AORUS elite Gigabtye
2*8GB ddr4 3000MHZ ram
m.2 ssd
hdd
700w 80+ bronze Gigabyte
RTX2060 windforce oc Gigabyte

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If it is the motherboard would plugging in a new GPU be wise, would it happen again?

For us, it is impossible to tell what fried the GPU. Though, i doubt it was MoBo, since MoBo only communicates with GPU and sends up to 75W of power to it. Bulk of the power comes from PSU. Speaking of that;

700w 80+ bronze Gigabyte

It doesn't tell much. What is the model (or part number) of it?

It is possible that your PSU sent out of spec voltages to GPU, thus frying it. And without model name, i can't tell if your PSU is good or not (e.g how suspicious it would be).

Though, it is always a possibility that something on GPU itself died (e.g manufacturing defect) and for that reason, GPU has warranty. Since if none of the components wouldn't ever fail, there wouldn't be a reason to have warranty at all.

Solution