GPU smoking after leaving it off for a few hours.

Sep 15, 2018
I have had my custom PC for approximately 3 months mostly playing non-requiring video games. My gpu temp usually stays around 59-60 degrees Celsius. After playing some videos games, I had to leave so I turn off my computer and didn't come back for around an hour and a half. When I came back, my computer did not turn on at all, so I open it up. I check again (with the side panel open) and I see smoke come out with a burnt plastic smell. Very small, and came out near the hdmi/VGA ports. I first thought it was my PSU, so I removed it and checked it by bridging it, and it turned on fine (the fan). I removed my gpu and have no idea what's wrong at all.

the parts can be seen here:https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fourke/saved/8X6nnQ

The actual parts were bought from different places, my Zotac GTX 1050Ti was purchased from Amazon, but my product support deadline has ended.

Here are pictures of the actual gpu:
https://imgur.com/a/Tao5JNJ

The weirdest part of this all is that it never shut down by itself, overheated, or exploded, I see no destroyed Capictors, and the card is relatively new.

Should I try to see if it can be repaired? Or just buy a new one?

Solution
#1. Of course make sure your warranty is in fact expired because RMAing it is the best option by far.

#2. I would say if the card still works and you don't have to use the Display Port that is where the burn is, then the bad insulation between the traces will burn the fiberglass a bit and the goo will usually end up self insulating the traces again.
The only hope is to try it and see what happens. Don't use the Display Port again. Likely that port no longer works anyway.
It looks like on the card that it's the traces from the chip that drives the display port to the display port. Those ports are powered because you can have a active display port adapter that needs power so it has power like a usb port does.

-I would be suspicious...

need4speeds

Distinguished
#1. Of course make sure your warranty is in fact expired because RMAing it is the best option by far.

#2. I would say if the card still works and you don't have to use the Display Port that is where the burn is, then the bad insulation between the traces will burn the fiberglass a bit and the goo will usually end up self insulating the traces again.
The only hope is to try it and see what happens. Don't use the Display Port again. Likely that port no longer works anyway.
It looks like on the card that it's the traces from the chip that drives the display port to the display port. Those ports are powered because you can have a active display port adapter that needs power so it has power like a usb port does.

-I would be suspicious of anything that was plugged into that port, a active adapter could have a bad chip that draws too much power. What's fairly likely is those tiny pins on the plug itself got bent and shorted. YES DO LOOK AT YOUR CORDS AND STUFF AND MAKE SURE NONE OF THEM HAVE A DAMAGED END. YOU DON'T WANT TO FRY FUTURE VIDEO CARDS TOO.

Solution
index.php

index.php

index.php

voltage controller got burnt

need4speeds

Distinguished
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-UP9509P-UP9509PQAG-QFN-24/32881160273.html

Maybe it can be fixed. You will need a soldering pencil and it's pretty fine soldering so good luck.

It's pretty rare that chips like this fail, it's likely a bad board trace. It will be a gamble on if changing the chip fixes it, or the board still has damaged traces. If the card works just no Display port, i think it's done burning what it's going to short out so it should be ok.

-If the card is dead then i dunno you could be wasting your time and money.