Question GPU sound

Kalish

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
Hello everyone,

About a month ago I built my first gaming pc, apart from some minor issues everything went surprisingly smooth.
Just recently i started hearing a strange noise in my pc and i found out it was coming from my GPU. I have checked the vents and it is not coming from them so I am kind of worried.
You can only hear the noise when a game is running on-screen. When i alt-tab the game the noise dissapears almost immediately.
I really hope you guys can help me out as I am kind of freaking out.
My graphics card is an msi gaming z rtx 2060.

I recorded the sound:
View: https://youtu.be/pcKNCVMDw0I

Best regards
Kalish

Last edited:

Kalish

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
Thanks for your quick response.
I just looked up coil whine and I don't think that this is the sound that is coming out of my GPU.
I thought it was indeed some electrical buzz and I still do.
I am using a Corsair RM650x PSU, which also has some noise when my pc is off (I don't know if that has something to do with it).
The rest of my specs are:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L
  • Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 MHz
  • Gigabyte x470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING Mobo
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 SSD
  • Phanteks Eclipse P400S
And some extra fans as well

Kalish

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
One thing that makes it more likely is that it goes away as soon as you Alt+Tab (those clicks?). Does it do this in other games/applications or just the one?

The clicks are indeed me, alt tabbing. I have tested it on a handful of games and nothing changes. I think it is strange that i never heard the sound to this day

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The clicks are indeed me, alt tabbing. I have tested it on a handful of games and nothing changes. I think it is strange that i never heard the sound to this day

If it does that in games and goes away upon alt+tab it's probably coil whine.

The sound level differs with coil whines (if this indeed is a case of it) and sometimes it's not 'that' audible over the sound of the game especially if you use headphones or headsets.

Hearing it up close like you do and hearing it on a recorded video like we do is different in terms of pure hearing, however, I'd say it's not very loud as some whines are pretty loud.

Kalish

Reputable
Mar 2, 2016
If it does that in games and goes away upon alt+tab it's probably coil whine.

The sound level differs with coil whines (if this indeed is a case of it) and sometimes it's not 'that' audible over the sound of the game especially if you use headphones or headsets.

Hearing it up close like you do and hearing it on a recorded video like we do is different in terms of pure hearing, however, I'd say it's not very loud as some whines are pretty loud.

So there is not really anything I can do about it?

The_tech_guy

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017
My graphics card starts making that same sound from the heatpipes when it gets hot it seems completely normal and nothing has gone wrong about it. I have an MSI 1070 ti Titanium 8G. Just wear headphones and you shouldn't hear it.