[SOLVED] GPU Spark and Smoke; PC Dead; Warranty/Connected Parts Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2021
Hello,
I recently acquired an EVGA 980 ti through a secondhand purchase. However, upon plugging it into my build and turning it on, I saw the EVGA logo light up then immediately shut off, as sparks and smoke fill my room before I immediately turned off my computer. The 980 ti was working prior to me putting it into my build and so was everything else. Unfortunately, the card looks like it has a chip that burned out and now my computer does not even turn on. The case leds turn on, cpu fans, hard drive, and my dvd player (yes I know it's 2021) all spin however my psu and case fans do not spin. I've done almost everything like turning it off and on, reseating ram, taking out the ram completely, unplugging every cord besides the cpu pin and 24 pin, but nothing, and I'm stumped as to what the issue is and what caused it. My psu is still under warranty, so I was going to get that replaced, but I was wondering if my psu manufacturer (EVGA) does some sort of connected device coverage. I don't think I did anything wrong because all I did was take out my current gpu, plug in the 980 ti, and boom. I did replace the thermal paste, but I'm almost sure that wouldn't cause everything to break. I'm going to ask my friend to use their build to test my CPU, ram, etc to see if which parts are dead but if it turns out that my cpu is dead, would EVGA cover it?
To reiterate, I plugged in a working 980 ti into my build. It turned on but shut off and sparked and smoked. After removing the 980 ti, my computer won't post. I'm asking for a possible cause and solution for my computer as well as if EVGA will cover any damaged parts.
Thank you
PC Specs:
i7-9700k
EVGA 980 ti
EVGA Supernova 650 watt 80 plus gold psu
2x 8 gigs of Crucial Ballistix 2666 mhz ram
Asrock b-365m-hdv matx mobo

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
You already have a thread on this:

This one is now closed.