[SOLVED] GPU Sparked/PCB Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenner0531

Honorable
Feb 8, 2016
Hello,

Recently my 2080ti sparked upon start up...long story short only the GPU was damaged. I took of the cooler/backplate and there is some exposed copper/swelling on the PCB. Is there a way to repair this or potential solutions?

Thanks in advance. Pics Below

2080 TI damage

Solution
So is a reflow/cleaning a lost cause(in your opinion)?
Once you are done with cleaning all of the charred stuff, you will also need to check every power plane for shorts and resolve those too. Some of the FETs may have been damaged during the event. There is also the possibility that the charred area is a symptom instead of the cause, such as a capacitor shorting out and causing the other shorts to happen, so you need to check for those too.

As long as there are no layer-to-layer shorts, the top layer can always be rebuilt with jumper wires of appropriate gauges and UV-activated solder mask resin..

InvalidError

Titan
There appears to be scorch marks on the copper around the corner screw, so I suspect a short to ground via the screw or between copper layers around it. If the 12V plane passing through there is feeding Vcore phases and 12V got shorted to ground, then you have Vcore current being back-fed into the short via the high-side FETs' body diodes and possibly pumping 100+A into the short until the VRM detects the fault and shuts down.

kenner0531

Honorable
Feb 8, 2016
There appears to be scorch marks on the copper around the corner screw, so I suspect a short to ground via the screw or between copper layers around it. If the 12V plane passing through there is feeding Vcore phases and 12V got shorted to ground, then you have Vcore current being back-fed into the short via the high-side FETs' body diodes and possibly pumping 100+A into the short until the VRM detects the fault and shuts down.

InvalidError

Titan
Once you are done with cleaning all of the charred stuff, you will also need to check every power plane for shorts and resolve those too. Some of the FETs may have been damaged during the event. There is also the possibility that the charred area is a symptom instead of the cause, such as a capacitor shorting out and causing the other shorts to happen, so you need to check for those too.

As long as there are no layer-to-layer shorts, the top layer can always be rebuilt with jumper wires of appropriate gauges and UV-activated solder mask resin..

Reactions: kenner0531
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.