[SOLVED] GPU SPARKED, SMOKED, AND NOW PC DOESN'T TURN ON

Sep 9, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hello,
As you can see from the title, I have a BIG issue. Recently, I found an old 980 ti and wanted to see if it still worked to sell it. I put it into my computer, plugged in the pins and turned it on. A flicker of light emitted from the gpu, displaying the "EVGA" logo before sparking and smoking. Right when I saw this, I shut off the psu and unplugged it and took out the card. After looking at the card, I see that a cap burned out or something but accepted it and tried to put in my original 1650 inside. After placing it inside and turning on the power button, I'm greeted with a split second of the cpu fan spinning but turns off and no post or anything. I've taken out the 1650, taken out both sticks of ram, taken out the CMOS battery, but to no avail. Is it possible that my mobo died or is it the psu? I'm really stumped and am looking for advice. Thanks
PC SPECS:
i7-9700k
16 gb 2666 mhz ram
650 watt 80 plus gold EVGA Supernova psu
Asrock b365m-hdv matx mobo

Solution
if the GPU was the only component that actually burned out it could have taken this PCIe slot with it.
but this would usually just lead to a "No Signal" on the display with the rest of the system functioning as it should.
try your onboard iGPU and see if you get any better reaction.
and if you have a second PCIe slot available, try your GTX 1650 in it.

it's possible though that the power supply did malfunction and shorted the GPU through the connected PCIe power.
which also may have damaged the PCIe slot.
or it may have fried the entire connected setup.

really the only way to test what may have survived is to use a backup or borrowed system and test each component separately.
or take it to a local shop and have them test each...
if the GPU was the only component that actually burned out it could have taken this PCIe slot with it.
but this would usually just lead to a "No Signal" on the display with the rest of the system functioning as it should.

it's possible though that the power supply did malfunction and shorted the GPU through the connected PCIe power.

really the only way to test what may have survived is to use a backup or borrowed system and test each component separately.
or take it to a local shop and have them test each component for you.

if you can determine that the power supply went out and took other components with it there's a good chance that the EVGA warranty provides connected device coverage up to a certain amount of $$.
if a shop determines that it was the cause, contact EVGA about RMA and tell them how it also damaged other hardware.

Solution
Sep 9, 2021

or take it to a local shop and have them test each component for you.

if you can determine that the power supply went out and took other components with it there's a good chance that the EVGA warranty provides connected device coverage up to a certain amount of $$.
if a shop determines that it was the cause, contact EVGA about RMA and tell them how it also damaged other hardware.
Thank you for the response. I took a closer look at the psu and tried to see if the psu fans were spinning. After pressing the power button, I noticed that the fans did not spin. I'm not entirely sure if this means that the psu is dead but is it possible that this means it's a psu issue?

Sep 9, 2021
Hello,
I recently acquired an EVGA 980 ti through a secondhand purchase. However, upon plugging it into my build and turning it on, I saw the EVGA logo light up then immediately shut off, as sparks and smoke fill my room before I immediately turned off my computer. The 980 ti was working prior to me putting it into my build and so was everything else. Unfortunately, the card looks like it has a chip that burned out and now my computer does not even turn on. The case leds turn on, cpu fans, hard drive, and my dvd player (yes I know it's 2021) all spin however my psu and case fans do not spin. I've done almost everything like turning it off and on, reseating ram, taking out the ram completely, unplugging every cord besides the cpu pin and 24 pin, but nothing, and I'm stumped as to what the issue is and what caused it. My psu is still under warranty, so I was going to get that replaced, but I was wondering if my psu manufacturer (EVGA) does some sort of connected device coverage. I don't think I did anything wrong because all I did was take out my current gpu, plug in the 980 ti, and boom. I did replace the thermal paste, but I'm almost sure that wouldn't cause everything to break. I'm going to ask my friend to use their build to test my CPU, ram, etc to see if which parts are dead but if it turns out that my cpu is dead, would EVGA cover it?
To reiterate, I plugged in a working 980 ti into my build. It turned on but shut off and sparked and smoked. After removing the 980 ti, my computer won't post. I'm asking for a possible cause and solution for my computer as well as if EVGA will cover any damaged parts.
Thank you
PC Specs:
i7-9700k
EVGA 980 ti
EVGA Supernova 650 watt 80 plus gold psu
2x 8 gigs of Crucial Ballistix 2666 mhz ram
Asrock b-365m-hdv matx mobo

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021
  1. How do you know it was previously working?
  2. How old is i? The warranty on that is 3 years. And may not cover second owners.
  3. Warranty covers manufacturer defects...not anything you may have done.
Thank you for the response. Prior to me purchasing the gpu, I tested it and saw it run. I'm not sure how old it is, but I am sure it is past warranty. Lastly, is it possible that this was a manufacturing defect? I believe I did everything properly and did not do anything that is not meant for intended use.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for the response. Prior to me purchasing the gpu, I tested it and saw it run. I'm not sure how old it is, but I am sure it is past warranty. Lastly, is it possible that this was a manufacturing defect? I believe I did everything properly and did not do anything that is not meant for intended use.
Defect or not, it is OUT of warranty.
EVGA won't help with this.