Question GPU Spikes after installing new CPU

Oct 30, 2022
Hey guys, I am taking time away from stopping myself from smashing my face into my PC to write this post.
Recently I upgraded my 3700x to a 5950x and I am seeing WORSE performance in OBS Studio, plus random GPU spikes that seem to bounce between any open applications.

I have pretty much tried everything. Here are my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
GPU: NVidia 3070
MOBA: ASRock B450M/ac R2.0
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3600MHz
AIO: CyberPowerPC (CoolerMaster) MasterLiquid Lite 120mm

I am running three monitors. Heat is not an issue, on the heaviest of loads the CPU touches maybe 82 for a second. GPU stays at a constant 55-56.

Things that have happened so far:
I have been monitoring my performances and temps at idle and under load for ABOUT TEN YEARS NOW (or so it seems), and I noticed something odd. My GPU will spike to 100% when opening an application, or doing nothing. It shows various apps doing this (Discord, File explorer, Desktop Window Manager, Chrome). It always seems to change and up to this point I have not identified a cause or pattern. I believe these spikes are what is crashing my stream. On my 3700x, I could stream 1080p 60FPS with NO issues. Now, I can't even hold a stream for 5 minutes before the GPU spikes to Mount Olympus and the stream crashes with "overloaded encoder" messages. I use NVENC. Additionally, micro stutters and skipped frames are persistent within the games and stream. None of these issues were prevalent on my last CPU. Temps remain constant and normal. The load is incredibly high on only the GPU.
My game performance has improved across the board when I do NOT have OBS open. When I do open OBS, I can sit and watch it spike to 92% and remain there WITHOUT STREAMING OR EVEN HAVING A GAME OPEN.
I have tried Streamlabs as well, same issue. I have removed several scenes and sources, and so far removing all the browser scenes that play clips has tamed the beast for now, but I am not convinced.
Something is amiss here. I have benchmarked everything you can think of, the build is stable and no thermal throttling. Cinebench, Heaven, Boundary all perform without issue. When OBS is open, I lose 60-80% of my frames, and that's without going live. This was NOT an issue on my 3700x, an objectively slower CPU.
The only thing I could possibly think is my MOBA doesn't have the correct voltages for this CPU. Sure, it is compatible, but under heavy load it is not.
And before we get to it: I used thermal paste, the AIO is seated properly, all the panels are off my case (due to awful airflow), I updated my BIOS the day of installation and confirmed, all GPU drivers have a clean install as well as a rollback, XMP is enabled for my RAM and it is running at 3600Mhz. Temps remain within safe zones (Typically 77 for CPU on high load with OBS and game running. GPU stays at 55-56). My fans are all on full speed and my room stays cool (thank you winter). I have enabled maximum performance power mode in Windows, Game mode is off, and as far as I can tell, all OBS settings are totally fine and worked well with my last CPU.
I could really use the help. I wish I could give you all a log file of some sort to pour over. Either way, I sincerely appreciate it! I have nothing to do today so I will be replying to any and all comments here! Thanks!

Oct 30, 2022
brand and model of the psu?
120mm aio is small for 5950x

It's a Apevia 800W Gold 80 Plus.

So I am thermal throttling a little bit when my room gets super hot. I wouldn't mind upgrading my AIO but I'm such a noob at PC building that I have no idea if my PSU would be able to handle all of it or not. If it helps at all, my encoder is being overloaded according to OBS. Not an issue with previous CPU. Additionally, I was able to stave off the crashing for a few hours by turning off hardware acceleration and manually updating all drivers.

Oct 30, 2022
Update: I have replaced MOBO and AIO. Re-installed windows, wiped my drive, everything. Same issue is persisting except now my games are just flat out crashing when I try to run anything over medium graphics settings.

TRENDING THREADS