Question gpu spikes every 10s after overclock

madpodz

Prominent
Sep 8, 2021
Hi guys. First of all i would to apologise for my bad english and i will try to explain my problem as clear as possible so you can help me.

Now, the sudden heat wave in europe made my cpu overheat like crazy. i mean every time i play cod warzone it will literally exceed 100c according to CPUID HWMonitor.
Obviously it was causing so much lag and i finally decided to get rid of my old crap cooler and i bought rog strix lc 360.
I installed it yesterday and everything was working grand. Temps wont go higher than 60c and i was so pleased.
I always knew that warzone is CPU heavy and it would always take up around 90%. So i decided to overclock my cpu.
I started of with enabling game boost and XMP. everything was working great tested warzone and was working just fine at 4.8hz.

this is where i f`ed up. i decided to push it even more, i looked up some videos on youtube how to overlock my i9 9900k and hoped to reach 5ghz
so i followed this video and i made some slight changes in bios. i presume the video was reliable as it was made by my mb's manufacturer and they were using i9 9900k as an example.
i followed all instructions and successfully overlocked. when i launched warzone it crashed right away and got the blue screen of death. I thought i messed something up so i went back to bios and undone verything. i was back on gameboost and xmp enabled.
then everything fired up ok but i noticed that my gpu began to throttle, yes gpu, i dont know why.
this spike would cause my pc freeze for several secs and eventually shut both screens off or flicker for several minutes.

I am not sure what is going on but now when game boost is disabled and running at stock speed 3.6 and XMP off there is no lag spikes and everything is working just fine.
Am i short W and i need to upgrade my GPU to 900w now or could it be core voltage issue as i left it on auto when i overclocked.
I beg you people please help me out as i messed up big time and dont know what to do.

my pc specs if that helps:
cpu - i9 9900k
mb - MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
gpu - Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Master
32GB ram - G.Skill Ripjaws 32gb 3600 MHz ddr4
psu - CHIEFTEC PowerPlay 850W (80 PLUS Platinum)

Regards,
mad

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Spikes is vague for others viewing the thread.
How and when does it spike? The temperatures, core clock, gpu power spikes up/down?

Maybe a driver broke during that last BSOD - use Windows System File Checker: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Game boost is an overclock. Z-series motherboards have their own auto OC features, and some of them have that enabled as the bios default. Msi refers to theirs as OC Genie?
If both of them are enabled, maybe they're having a fight? Disable one.
C-states should be enabled - in case the guide told you to disable it.
Not all 9900Ks are 5.0ghz capable. Wish some of those guides would take silicon quality into account.

madpodz

Prominent
Sep 8, 2021
Spikes is vague for others viewing the thread.
How and when does it spike? The temperatures, core clock, gpu power spikes up/down?

Maybe a driver broke during that last BSOD - use Windows System File Checker: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Game boost is an overclock. Z-series motherboards have their own auto OC features, and some of them have that enabled as the bios default. Msi refers to theirs as OC Genie?
If both of them are enabled, maybe they're having a fight? Disable one.
C-states should be enabled - in case the guide told you to disable it.
Not all 9900Ks are 5.0ghz capable. Wish some of those guides would take silicon quality into account.

Hi, thank you for your fast reply. I would experience 10-15s freeze on every command like open chrome or just a folder on my desktop. all temperatures are very low (idle). btw my gpu is running at stock clocks too. and yes, i was told to disable c-state. i will enable it now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Chrome accesses the storage drive to open, and so does file explorer. Did you make sure that's not overheating?
If it's an M.2, there are 2 sensors - HWINFO reads Drive Temperature 1(memory) and Drive Temperature 2(ASIC controller). The memory usually isn't an issue; it does best not too hot and not too cool.
It's the controller that can be a problem, especially if the drive is a gen 4, which have been notorious for high controller operating temperatures.

Did you try the System File Checker yet?

Latest posts