[SOLVED] GPU spikes from 0% to 80/100% when Idle and 100% while gaming

Nov 16, 2020
so I got a new gigabyte radeon rx 580 8GB yesterday and since I checked the AMD software for the first time I noticed that It was having random spikes to around 50 to 100 every 10 seconds without any games on (I only had steam and discord running) and It gets worse while gaming. I tried downloading MSI afterburner and the GPU usage kept spiking to 100%. I got the drivers from the AMD page.... Im not pretty sure what occasioning this problem, all the few games I have tested on It runs perfect without any frame drops / stutters but I'm really concerned about these spikes. I'm currently using a hdd from my old laptop (planning to buy new hdd and ssd soon) but Im not sure If that would even be the reason of my problem.

CPU USAGE AND RAM are just fine though but the amd software and msi burner keeps getting the same horrible spikes, on my taskbar the GPU usage seems normal but I dont even know....I'm not sure what could be the problem,
my specs are i7 8700
16gb ram crucial ballistix
ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS GAMING
Gigabyte rx 580 8gb

unknown.png

Solution
when Idle the temps are between 35/40 and when gamig It Increases to 70.
In the task manager the gpu seems to work just fine tho I dont see any of these spikes.
In task manager go onto the processes tab and expand the window a bit, on the right youll see a tab for gpu and in that tab it will tell you what processes are using the gpu. Check if any are unsing unusually high amounts.
Ive had something similar happen on two occasions with rx gpus i was able to fix one by going to settings in msi afterburner and then general and enabling unified GPU usage monitoring. The seond time i had bought the gpu second hand from someone using it for mining and they had flashed a custom bios on it, never actually managed to fix that one.

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
Could you tell me your gpu's temperature both at idle and in a game?
Also Windows task manager allows for gpu usage moitoring, open task manager and expand the window a little, you should see gpu usage on the far right. Check to see if any running programs are causing high gpu usage.

Nov 16, 2020
Could you tell me your gpu's temperature both at idle and in a game?
Also Windows task manager allows for gpu usage moitoring, open task manager and expand the window a little, you should see gpu usage on the far right. Check to see if any running programs are causing high gpu usage.

In the task manager the gpu seems to work just fine tho I dont see any of these spikes.
unknown.png

JoshRC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2015
In task manager go onto the processes tab and expand the window a bit, on the right youll see a tab for gpu and in that tab it will tell you what processes are using the gpu. Check if any are unsing unusually high amounts.
Ive had something similar happen on two occasions with rx gpus i was able to fix one by going to settings in msi afterburner and then general and enabling unified GPU usage monitoring. The seond time i had bought the gpu second hand from someone using it for mining and they had flashed a custom bios on it, never actually managed to fix that one.

Solution