Question gpu spins at full speed while posting

May 7, 2023
I built this computer quite recently and I been suffering from this problem for awhile, When I power on my computer the gpu fans will spin at full speed for a solid 30 seconds before my computer starts to post. just sucks knowing you got such a good drive and your pc still boots slower the a hhd.

my specs are as listed below
cpu: ryzen 7 7700x
gpu: Asus tuff 1660 super
ram: G.Skill Trident 32gb @6000
psu: Corsair RMx Series 850w
motherbord: MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk
boot drive: 1tb samsung 990 pro
bulk storage: 2, 2tb Seagate hhd's (2018 verson)

GPU fans may spin at full speed when first turning on a PC as a part of the system's power-on self-test (POST) process.

During the POST process, the PC will check that all of its components are working in order, including the GPU. The GPU fans may sometimes spin at full speed during this boot process to ensure that it is functioning properly, and also to sometimes provide maximum cooling to the GPU during the boot process.

It’s actually part of the self-check (POST) process. When you turn on a PC, the BIOS/UEFI actually conducts a basic check on all the parts to see if they’re working. It’s called POST, which also includes spinning up all fans (especially if they have RPM reading pins), apart from scanning through connected USB devices to find a mouse/keyboard/external drives etc.

It might also be implemented as a failsafe by default in some cases. The BIOS won’t load any PWM settings until it finishes POSTing, so some graphics cards will just run the fans at full speed by default (to avoid overheating).

In addition, some GPU vendors/AIBs may configure their GPUs to spin the fans at full speed during boot as a safety measure. Not all models behave similarly though.

But once the POST process is complete and the OS has loaded, the GPU fans should slow down to their normal operating or default speed, which is judged by the GPU's current temperature, usage, and/or workload.

Btw, I forgot to ask this, but what is the RPM of the GPU fans once the system has posted, and OS has been fully loaded (in idle/desktop mode) ? And also, I think your ASUS GPU model doesn't have the 0db fan STOP technology as others models do.

I mean when the fans are completely turned OFF when the GPU temp is below 60 c. ASUS TUF models don't feature this fan stop tech unless I'm mistaken.

Last edited: