[SOLVED] GPU spins but then stops.

tonyqqq

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020
Hello everyone.

Little history from the past weeks. I've left my computer running during the Holidays and when I came back, it had difficulty staying on without shutting down by itself. After a complete night of rest, my computer woke me up with a nice blue screen, saying a device was not properly connected/ error 0x0000007b . I believe it has something to do with the computer shutting itself down for the past few days.

Opened up the hood and started to troubleshoot here and there, and noticed my GPU was powering but stopped spinning after few seconds. I also disconnected cables and placed them back at their place, including RAM strips. Since then, my screen won't pick up any signal from my computer, I'm in total darkness. Please help senpai!

Component list:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
PSU: Seasonic 650 Watt G-Series Gold
GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 Armor
MOBO: B-350 Strix
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 4x8go

Solution
My best guess would be the PSU is failing. Next after that I'd guess the GPU fails. But that is what it is, only guesses.

If you have a spare GPU or a spare PSU, I'd recommend you try to swap and see if the issue disappear.

If you have it overclocked, or have some xpm profile, then I'd recommend you to go back to the most stable settings - I don't know your mobo HK but I'd guess it have some handy way to set all possible settings to "stable mode" bu just a button to click, so I'd go for that.
My best guess would be the PSU is failing. Next after that I'd guess the GPU fails. But that is what it is, only guesses.

If you have a spare GPU or a spare PSU, I'd recommend you try to swap and see if the issue disappear.

If you have it overclocked, or have some xpm profile, then I'd recommend you to go back to the most stable settings - I don't know your mobo HK but I'd guess it have some handy way to set all possible settings to "stable mode" bu just a button to click, so I'd go for that.

Solution

lynx1021

Distinguished
A lot of GPU fans spin when it starts up then doesn't spin until it gets to a certain temperature, My RX460 doesn't spin until it gets to 59C. You have a good PSU, but if you have a spare to test with, I would. Try with 1 stick of memory, look at manual to see what slot to use. Might have had a power surge while you were gone.