[SOLVED] GPU stays on after Windows shutdown

Jul 13, 2021
Long story short, I bought a an HP Omen 30L with a 3090 (prebuilds suck...I know) and due to excessive cpu overheating I decided to rebuild the prebuilt. Replaced everything except the cpu, gpu and memory including going with a fully modular psu since the prebuilt was a non-modular. Everything is working fine except when I shut down the computer the gpu stays on. The light on the card and a single fan stays running all the time unless I turn the psu off. I am a complete loss on what is causing this and and advice would be welcomed.

Solution
Replaced everything except the cpu, gpu and memory including going with a fully modular psu since the prebuilt was a non-modular.

so that means you didn’t replace everything…

but seriously, are you sure the pc is actually shut down? Sometimes a corrupt windows installation would cause it to behave like that. (Display is off but fans are still running)

you could also have a faulty psu that provides power indefinitely.Does this happen with the stock psu?

are you sure everything is plugged in properly and in the correct place?

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Replaced everything except the cpu, gpu and memory including going with a fully modular psu since the prebuilt was a non-modular.

so that means you didn’t replace everything…

but seriously, are you sure the pc is actually shut down? Sometimes a corrupt windows installation would cause it to behave like that. (Display is off but fans are still running)

you could also have a faulty psu that provides power indefinitely.Does this happen with the stock psu?

are you sure everything is plugged in properly and in the correct place?

Solution
Jul 13, 2021
After taking your advice Jmi, I checked all the psu connections and found it was an rgb problem. When I connected my front fan rgbs it would turn the gpu light and fan on but it didnt properly power down when I shut the computer down. I went in the bios and enabled the Erp which turn all rpg off at shutdown. This included the gpu light and fan. Problem solved!