GPU still overheats after applying new thermal compound

Sep 6, 2018
I have a GTX 1050 and my computer has been running just fine from a got it till I got the 1050 but just a few days ago everything went downhill into this nightmare. Ive been able to run GTAV, Space Engineers and many other games perfectly at around 50 to 60 and more. But now, I can barely run GTAV at a solid 10 fps, while starting it I get filled with hope cause it runs at around 20 fps but when I get into the world my hope is shattered. Space Engineers runs decent at about 30 FPS... Moving on from this to what solutions ive tried!

Ive changed thermal paste on both GPU of course and CPU for good measure, I used Noctua NT-H1 as thermal paste. Ive started from a pea sized dot to adding more till I started over again, when I didnt get any promising results, I removed it and put some on and smoothed it out with a credit card, If it worked I wouldnt be here posting this, eh?

Solution
If you take it to the field and put a round through the card, I don't think anyone would blame you. Just sayin...

In all seriousness, if it's still under warranty, contact the vendor and seek an RMA for an exchange.
I would look at Afterburner and look at the CPU/GPU and memory usage.
There may be an app that is using up your resources.
Then I would also look in task manager and see if there is an app that is running that is screwing you up.
Afterburner will also show you temps...look at them as well.

Sep 6, 2018

Yeah, Ive checked task manager but nothing really seem to be screwing anything up from what I can tell

Sep 6, 2018

Neh, no resistance at all.

Sep 6, 2018

Before it ran around 26 to 30c and now it runs around 63c at idle

Sep 6, 2018

Load temps?

Sep 6, 2018

Oh, of course. It really dosent change too much, if I remember right it maby increases by 3 to 5c but sometimes goes up by 10c I cant really remember much as it was a couple of hours last time I checked and Im in my basememt at the moment

Sep 6, 2018

But what is causing the insane drop in FPS is all im out for, cause ive heard that a GPU that goes high temp has a impact on peformance, or was that CPU?

Sep 6, 2018

I will have to check that when I can but this morning I noticed that my GPU fans will not start unless I put em on manual , causing the GPU to reach 63c on idle. When I put the fans up to 45% It got slightly cooler, 65% It got around 45c, 85% It runs at between 35c and is what It it usually were running at in idle before it all went to hell. But when I start a program that isnt very demanding it rockets up to 63c in less than a minute

Sep 6, 2018

Alright... If everything is working seemingly properly, what could be the cause of low FPS on pretty much every game. Theres no program taking up much RAM other that some games I usually play, im yet to check what clocks speeds CPU and GPU I am getting

We need to understand clock speeds, try rolling back the drivers, what's the cpu temp, all this comes before taking the gpu apart.

Sep 6, 2018

stdragon

Admirable
If you take it to the field and put a round through the card, I don't think anyone would blame you. Just sayin...

In all seriousness, if it's still under warranty, contact the vendor and seek an RMA for an exchange.

Solution