GPU Stopped working all the sudden.

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
Hello,

My GPU Stopped working all the sudden.

Basicly i shut down my pc like i normally would. The next day all I see is the motherboard logo when starting up and the windows logo. Right before the login screen my screen goes black. GPU appears to be working because I get image when it starts up. Fans are spinning just fine. I just checked the thermal paste, it needed replacement but it doesnt fix my problem.

Did my gpu die? Or could it be the power cables for it? Or something else?

I have put in another card that is powered from the motherboard itself, and that works fine.
Also my screen wont work if in use the vga slot from the motherboard.

Card: AMD Radeon R9 270X, bought in 2014 and used ever since.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
There have been two cases that I've personally had where a monitor goes black like that. The fIrst one was with a new card that was having problems being detected by the operating system. In that instance, I ended up updating the motherboard BIOS (more of a last resort action). But it worked. After that the driver updated on the first try.

The second was another driver problem. I have two monitors, and one monitor went black. Upon investigation there had been a Windows 10 update that had been trying to update my graphics driver. It had like four failed attempts in the log, but it finally updated. And the second monitor went black. Every time since then when Windows 10 updates my graphics driver the same thing happens. Then...
I would say that the power supply is probably your problem. The power supply degrades over time. The GPU is by far the biggest power draw in the PC. Therefore it will be the first to be affected by an inadequate power supply. The fact that the lower watt graphics card works supports the theory.

I would replace the power supply with another 550 + watt PSU. If you have another working power supply like that, then you can switch it out to test. You can put the graphics card in another system (with an adequate PSU) to test as well.

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
Could be true. i'm no expert but why does the card work up untill the login screen? it still has to produce image right?

The device only draws the amount of current it needs to operate at any given time. That means that the power needed varies in the case of the graphics card with what it is displaying. Initially the graphics card is basically at idle, then the Windows splash screen (plus Windows loading). And then the power demand goes up and the device with the biggest power draw fails.

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
Hm okay. I tried disconnecting the optical drive so it wouldnt be used by the psu. no diffrence. According to some searches this should be around 25 watts, which its not using anymore.
Would it make a diffrence if I changed backgrounds, for the login screen for example? Would the gpu have to work less hard thus using less power? Just to make sure this is actually the problem.

The only way I know of that you can test it is to switch out the power supply with a working power supply of the correct watts. A repair shop that specializes is testing power supplies could determine the actual watt out put by placing a maximum load on the PSU and measuring the peak watts. They can also switch out the power supply to test the system.

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016

I have just given up, but I deciced to give it one more shot.
So what I discovered is that the card seems to be working fine in Safe Mode. and it booted in normal mode with a lower resolution, but after a bit the screen went black like it did before.
What could the problem be? At this point i kinda hope it's the gpu, since I wanted to upgrade.

There have been two cases that I've personally had where a monitor goes black like that. The fIrst one was with a new card that was having problems being detected by the operating system. In that instance, I ended up updating the motherboard BIOS (more of a last resort action). But it worked. After that the driver updated on the first try.

The second was another driver problem. I have two monitors, and one monitor went black. Upon investigation there had been a Windows 10 update that had been trying to update my graphics driver. It had like four failed attempts in the log, but it finally updated. And the second monitor went black. Every time since then when Windows 10 updates my graphics driver the same thing happens. Then I have to manually update the driver from geoforce.com, and the problem is fixed once again (until the next time ... Windows drivers are crap).

But I think you may be right. Do you have another graphics card that you can switch out just to test it (or borrow one)?
Otherwise, a GPU upgrade may be your best bet (since you are inclined to it anyway). Plus if it doesn't work out, then you do have the option of returning the graphics card.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from NathanHeerde : "GPU Only Working In Safe Mode (AMD Radeon R9 270X)"