[SOLVED] GPU stopped working, radiators still on.

Jun 6, 2020
Hello. Here's the case. After playing for 30 minutes in witcher 3, my display freezed like on the photo below and I had to shut down my computer. Now my display is black and my GPU is not seen althouth RADIATORS STILL WORK! I have Radeon r9 280x Gigabyte. Does it mean that my gpu is dead? How do i know it? Can I "diagnose" at profesionals?

I've just installed new windows few days ago and realised that I had no radeon drivers installed on it... may it be a real cause ?|
I have also tried to connect with integrated graphics on my ASrock b85hdms but from what I recall it never really worked. Cmos reset also doesnt help.

yC1PB-1024x768.jpg

Solution
It may be dead. I had a similar issue with my GPU a few weeks ago...screen went black, no further output. I could boot back in but after a while it refused to show anything. Debug lights on the motherboard indicated a brick red on the GPU light, which trips a fault meaning it was dead. No further boot up was possible...and the fan did still spin initially.

A Windows 10 installation will normally install the base Radeon drivers itself, enough so that the GPU will work effectively, so it's very likely that drivers aren't the issue.

Do you have another GPU to swap out to test this out with, perhaps? That said, that R9 is probably a dead horse.

If you want to stick with AMD, I'd suggest an RX 570 at minimum. A 560 seems to be a...

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
It may be dead. I had a similar issue with my GPU a few weeks ago...screen went black, no further output. I could boot back in but after a while it refused to show anything. Debug lights on the motherboard indicated a brick red on the GPU light, which trips a fault meaning it was dead. No further boot up was possible...and the fan did still spin initially.

A Windows 10 installation will normally install the base Radeon drivers itself, enough so that the GPU will work effectively, so it's very likely that drivers aren't the issue.

Do you have another GPU to swap out to test this out with, perhaps? That said, that R9 is probably a dead horse.

If you want to stick with AMD, I'd suggest an RX 570 at minimum. A 560 seems to be a downgrade, but a 570 should give more performance.

Good luck!

Solution

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
That overheating problem.. I had that problem before on my r9 gpu. Unplug your GPU and clean it. Change Thermal paste on GPU solve that problem..It happen whenever your GPU reach temperature of 80+