Question GPU stops displaying while gaming?

Mar 23, 2021
I have a problem, while I am playing videogames my GPU randomly stops sending signal and to get it back I have to restart my pc. I don´t know how to fix it and I need help.

Specs:
ASRock B450 Pro4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor CPU
ASRock Radeon RX 590 Phantom Gaming X 8G OC GPU
G.Skill DIMM 16GB DDR4-3200 Kit RAM
GIGABYTE SSD 480 GB SSD
Seagate ST2000DM008 2 TB HDD
Thermaltake Smart RGB 700W PSU

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
But the computer keeps working?

First thing I always do is shut the system down, take the GPU out, and re-insert it. You would be surprised how often this helps. A little dust in the slot, installed at an angle (motherboard slightly crooked), GPU sag. Each warming cycle the GPU will expand and contract, over time this can cause it to slowly move about in the slot and make loose connections.

Beyond that, update your motherboard BIOS and drivers. Recent Windows updates might not be getting along with everything you have, and updating may resolve some issues.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If your AMD graphics driver is newer than that, probably not. Though, if the display driver is crashing, then you might consider using Display Driver Uninstall utility and going with a slightly older driver as well.

Try the GPU re-insert if you haven't.

You could also risk those newer BIOS updates.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can look at the system event log, see what the computer was doing right before the problem, after your restart.

Also consider changing the output/input to the monitor. Could be a cable issue, or the port on the monitor or graphics card. If you have another monitor or TV to test with, do that as well, just to narrow things down.

I hate to start pointing fingers at the PSU, since the computer isn't crashing. And it is a relatively new model. Thermaltake doesn't have the best reputation, but they don't tend make outright bad models, and it really depends which OEM made the unit for them.