GPU stops signaling upon internal GPU driver update

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I am experiencing this issue while updating my onboard GPU's drivers through windows update. I have hidden the update for now. My screen starts to check other inputs for signal when I initiate the update process. Even forcing it back to HDMI doesn't do anything, it remains black.

I have a XFX HD6950 1GB card with Catalyst v14.4 installed. I have recently performed a clean uninstall of v13.xx with the AMD utility and installed the current drivers. The previous ones were not working, I had been running my iGPU since a month due to PSU issues and thus plugged the GPU back when I changed it.

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
That's what is odd here, even if the primary graphics interface is set to PCI Express, it seemingly changes to internal on driver update. I tried doing it with internal primary but then setting it back to PCI Express after installation resulted in a black screen instead of the welcome screen. That's what was happening before the cleanup.

Anyways maybe its a windows issue as it has been well over 2 years since the last refresh, ah 7 is the champion of stability. I'll do a refresh when I upgrade my SSD. Judging from the lack of replies, I think its a rather rare/weird issue, thanks for replying though.

TRENDING THREADS