[SOLVED] GPU stops working after installing any driver

Apr 1, 2019
Hello,
I recently bought a used PC, it has
  • Zotac GTX 760 GPU
  • Gigabyte 970A-D3 MB
  • Power Co. ATM 600-FB PSU
  • 16 GB RAM
The PC came with win10, and completely in random intervals, the GPU fan stopped working and I got a black screen. After contacting the guy that I bought the PC from, he told me that the PC had no problem when he was using it. And I should try Win 7 and different drivers because he upgraded to win 10 when he wanted to sell and everything was fine on win 7.
So I tried, I installed win 7, checked with 4 different versions of drivers, in all of them, exactly after I install the driver and restart the PC, in like 2 minutes after windows load, the screen goes black and the GPU fan stops working.
If I do not install the driver, GPU fans work for hours, but the problem only happens when I install any driver.

Now the question is that if the GPU is dead? Should I invest in a new one or it is a driver issue?

PS: I already checked the cables and take out the GPU and put it back in.
PS2: I should clarify that the PC behavior is the same in Win 10 and Win 7.

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What are you actually doing with the system when it goes black? Or does it not matter?
Is it just the GPU that's not working? Or does the system shut down?

Typically, if a GPU stops outputting a display, it still visually appears to be working (fans spinning etc)...

What PSU is in that system, specifically?

Reactions: New_Newbi
Apr 1, 2019
What are you actually doing with the system when it goes black? Or does it not matter?
Is it just the GPU that's not working? Or does the system shut down?

Typically, if a GPU stops outputting a display, it still visually appears to be working (fans spinning etc)...

What PSU is in that system, specifically?

It doesn't matter what I do, after installing driver in Win 7 and restarting, after sitting about 2 min on the desktop, it happens. And I checked it on Win 10, it is not a heat issue. It happens even around 45.

The system works, it does not shut down, but the GPU fan stops spinning and a signal lost come on screen and the screen goes black.

And the PSU model is Power Co. ATM 600-FB

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Either a driver/vBIOS issue (you could consider flashing the vBIOS),..... but may also be a PSU concern. I don't know much about that unit.
I can find that CyberPower have used it quite a few times, so that very likely means it's cheap, and capable enough to last the 12-24months they provide for warranty - and probably not much more.

Apr 1, 2019
Either a driver/vBIOS issue (you could consider flashing the vBIOS),..... but may also be a PSU concern. I don't know much about that unit.
I can find that CyberPower have used it quite a few times, so that very likely means it's cheap, and capable enough to last the 12-24months they provide for warranty - and probably not much more.

So you think that GPU is fine?

How can I make sure that which part is causing the problem with spending minimum money?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's impossible to say. Given it crashes at (near) idle, there's still a good chance the GPU is at fault.

A known working, quality PSU to test would be the best route to go.

If the GPU is still a problem, even then, then a vBIOS flash might fix it .... for a while.

Apr 1, 2019
It's impossible to say. Given it crashes at (near) idle, there's still a good chance the GPU is at fault.

A known working, quality PSU to test would be the best route to go.

If the GPU is still a problem, even then, then a vBIOS flash might fix it .... for a while.

Thank you,
I wanted to avoid that, but think It is better to take the PC to a repair shop. At least they have spare parts to test every possibility.