Question GPU stops working after installing driver

May 27, 2019
Hi, I recently got a GTX 1660 Ti to replace my GTX 1050. I'm experiencing a problem where the GPU stops giving output and the fans stops after installing a driver. After a while, I restarted my PC and when it's about to reach the lock screen, the GPU stops giving output with the fans stopped again. All other parts of my PC is still running at that time (cpu fans, cpu, ram, etc.) I had the GPU replaced with a new one by warranty and the problem is still the same.

I'm guessing it's my PSU fault because I've upgraded everything in my PC except my PSU. I'm using a Cooler Master MWE Bronze 550. However, when I'm using my GTX 1050 (which doesn't use any PCIe cord), it works perfectly with the PSU. Maybe my PSU isn't sufficient?

Please help me with this. Thanks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR4 3000MHz
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1660 Ti OC
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450 Aorus Pro
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Bronze 550
Coolers: Stock CPU cooler + Stock case fan

Edit: I'm using a DVI in to DisplayPort out converter for the GPU. I only have a monitor that uses DVI and VGa and I don't have a DVI to DisplayPort cable.
Edit: Turns out the converter doesn't work with the GTX 1050 (only works by using the integrated DVI port) However, it works with pre-driver installed GTX 1600 Ti.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
May 27, 2019
Ok good to know :)

Not sure what you've tried or driver you're installing, try;

With the 1050 in, download Geforce driver for the 1660Ti and DDU

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Install DDU then reboot to safemode. Run the program and uninstall Nvidia drivers and shut down.

Change graphics cards and try to install the driver you downloaded.
I have already tried what you said before and the problem is still there.

Could it be that it doesn't recognize my DVI in to DP out converter and then shuts off to save power? But it did show display before I had any driver installed (basic display driver). The converter didn't work with the GTX 1050's DP port (no display) so I just used the integrated DVI port that it came with.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh you should have mentioned a converter cable. Is this cable passive or active?

Im assuming 1660Ti DP > DVI monitor. Is converter cable active? (i think it is if you're getting a picture), powered either by DC or USB?. Why it shows a display prior to driver installation could be the converter cable cannot handle the resolution?

Do you have a hdmi tv in the house you can test?

May 27, 2019
Yes it is 1660Ti DP > DVI monitor. I don't know if it's active or no but it doesn't use any usb or power supply. Just a dongle.

I did test it with a HDMI tv and it didn't show any output, even the bios screen. The 1660Ti DP > DVI monitor did show the bios screen then but then it doesn't show the lock screen and the GPU turns off.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
DP to DVI passive adapters are dodgy but seeing you're getting a bios screen suggests the cable works but when Windows begins to load and initialises the video card driver seems like the video cable isn't capable of the native resolution set. Seeing you're not sure if the cable works because it's never been confirmed?

The TV should still have shown a picture though, if DP to DVI cable showed a picture, so should the TV. Which Hdmi port did you use from the computer? 1660Ti or the motherboard?

May 27, 2019
I'm so sorry. Turns out, the first test with an HDMI TV, I used a broken HDMI cable. I tested again with a working cable and it worked! It used a low res at first then it changed to the native res. (I didnt reinstall the drivers this time). So does this mean I can't use a converter? Would using a direct DVI to DP or DVI to HDMI cable solve it for my monitor?

May 27, 2019
Hdmi to DVI-D would be better instead of going DP to DVI. Install video drivers first make sure all is good with the TV and then if all is normal then the cable is the culprit.
Okay I just bought a DVI to HDMI cable and everything works fine now on my monitor. Reinstalled the drivers too. Thank you so much for your help.