[SOLVED] GPU stops working when drivers are installed (3080 Ti)

Sup3rben

Prominent
Mar 6, 2021
Two weeks ago while playing a videogame my 3080 ti shut down. Lights off, fans not working and no video signal but PC still running (probably frozen) with audio output. Last week the same problem happened but more frequently while playing games. Two days ago it happened again, this time without playing anything, just browsing the web. After turning the pc back on, about 2 seconds after windows 10 loaded, the card stopped working again. Yesterday I performed a factory reset on the ssd, installed windows 11, updated bios and chipset. The gpu was running without drivers and it seemed ok. As soon as I installed the game ready drivers the card turned off, same as before. And the computer can't be turned on again because the gpu shuts off as soon as windows starts. Running windows in safe mode works obviously, since no video drivers are loaded. Also running it with low resolution (640x480) seems to be stable, but as soon as I increase it (to 1080p) it happens again in less than 30 seconds. As soon as I toggle 4k it stops working. Today I tried other things, such as swapping PCI slots, changing video cables and ports, but nothing. I played with bios settings, removed overclock on ram, changed the speed of the PCI connection to gen 3, turn off Resizable bar, removed any option of automatic overclock or boost in power, again nothing.
I was sure at this point that the gpu was the problem, until I switched to an older Radeon HD series card. And guess what, as soon as I installed the AMD drivers, it did the same exact thing, and It was even more unstable, since it could run the 480p resolution for less than 10 seconds.

So, that excludes the gpu (I think?) since it's not specific to one card. It could be the power supply, since it's 7 years old, but the card is not shutting off during intense usage, only when drivers are loaded.

Here's the spec for my PC. Everything is pretty much new except the power supply which is 7 years old:
-Rtx 3080 ti Founders Edition
-Ryzen 9 3900x
-Asus rog B550-F motherboard
-Corsair vengeance 16gb 3200mhz
-Corsair RM 850W 80+ gold
-Aourus 2tb m.2 NVME ssd
The computer it's connected to a Samsung Qled TV (model is Q60t)

Since the arrival of the gpu (about 2 months ago) I've played all kinds of games at 4k with max settings and I have never had any problem whatsoever (no glitches, no errors, no overheating, ecc...)

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Two weeks ago while playing a videogame my 3080 ti shut down. Lights off, fans not working and no video signal but PC still running (probably frozen) with audio output. Last week the same problem happened but more frequently while playing games. Two days ago it happened again, this time without playing anything, just browsing the web. After turning the pc back on, about 2 seconds after windows 10 loaded, the card stopped working again. Yesterday I performed a factory reset on the ssd, installed windows 11, updated bios and chipset. The gpu was running without drivers and it seemed ok. As soon as I installed the game ready drivers the card turned off, same as before. And the computer can't be turned on again because the gpu shuts off as soon as windows starts. Running windows in safe mode works obviously, since no video drivers are loaded. Also running it with low resolution (640x480) seems to be stable, but as soon as I increase it (to 1080p) it happens again in less than 30 seconds. As soon as I toggle 4k it stops working. Today I tried other things, such as swapping PCI slots, changing video cables and ports, but nothing. I played with bios settings, removed overclock on ram, changed the speed of the PCI connection to gen 3, turn off Resizable bar, removed any option of automatic overclock or boost in power, again nothing.
I was sure at this point that the gpu was the problem, until I switched to an older Radeon HD series card. And guess what, as soon as I installed the AMD drivers, it did the same exact thing, and It was even more unstable, since it could run the 480p resolution for less than 10 seconds.

So, that excludes the gpu (I think?) since it's not specific to one card. It could be the power supply, since it's 7 years old, but the card is not shutting off during intense usage, only when drivers are loaded.

Here's the spec for my PC. Everything is pretty much new except the power supply which is 7 years old:
-Rtx 3080 ti Founders Edition
-Ryzen 9 3900x
-Asus rog B550-F motherboard
-Corsair vengeance 16gb 3200mhz
-Corsair RM 850W 80+ gold
-Aourus 2tb m.2 NVME ssd
The computer it's connected to a Samsung Qled TV (model is Q60t)

Since the arrival of the gpu (about 2 months ago) I've played all kinds of games at 4k with max settings and I have never had any problem whatsoever (no glitches, no errors, no overheating, ecc...)
Have you tried to restart the graphics when it is not working? You can try by pressing Win+Ctrl+Shift+B simultaneously.

Sup3rben

Prominent
Mar 6, 2021
It turned out that the gpu cable was melted due to too much power draw from the card. I'm now using 2