Question GPU strange instability while trying to set an undervolt with Afterburner

DroP90

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
Recently I accquired a RTX 3080 12GB and applied an undervolt through MSI Afterburner.

But my undervolt profile won't auto load with system start so I was troubleshooting and looking for solutions online.

While testing these possible solutions, I ran into a strange instability:

1. I let HWiNFO and MSI Afterburner open for monitoring voltage, consumption and temperatures and open a game (Total War: Warhammer 3) to see if my undervolt was being automatically applied.

2. On one of these tests I saw that my undervolt wasn't applied (higher consumption and temps) and alt + tabbed to see the graphs on HWiNFO and MSI Afterburner, as soon as I changed the tab do MSI my screen got hit with various artifacts.

3. The game was still running and I could close it without crashing or anything, but I noticed that my voltage was higher than normal on the HWiNFO graph (something like 1.025V, I can't remember precisely).

4. I don't know what happened but it seems the alt + tab to MSI messed with something, after I close the game and manually applied my undervolt profile, I still was getting artifacts while opening and managing both HWiNFO and MSI Afterburner.

5. I reboot my PC and did some tests again without having these problems. Now I let this go and I'm manually applying my undervolt profile after every start up.

My questions: This problem was probably related to MSI going nuts and shooting my voltage up, right? Could this be early signs of a faulty GPU? I never had any other problem like this with it, been running it at 0.850V@1850MHz and it's very stable. Should I forget this undervolt thing and disallow MSI to change voltage? I'm scared that this problem was caused by me not having security measures in place and I'm damaging my GPU.

DroP90

Commendable
Aug 15, 2021
Once i got a crazy reading while performing a test with 3dMark on my 3080, and i think it was like a bug or a bad reading, that may be your case also. On gpuz i think i saw 1.8v on core..
View: https://imgur.com/a/DF2htNN

But I actually had a indication that something wasn't right, my screen got full of artifacts as soon as I alt tabbed, then I look into the voltage graph and saw a spike on it.

Now I'm afraid I may have damaged my card, or it's already faulty.