[SOLVED] GPU stress test crashes with black screen

AuthenticGeek

Honorable
Jan 28, 2016
Build:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5800x
  • MB: Gigabyte B550i Aorus ProAX (Mini ITX)
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 X 8GB) DDR4 2400
  • GPU: MSI R9 390
  • PSU: Cooler Master V750 SFX (750W)

I just finished my new build, however, stress testing the GPU causes a black screen crash (FurMark and Heaven Benchmark). At first I thought it had to do with cooling issues, because my PC is a small form factor build (Fractal Design Node 202). I stress tested it again with the case open and a fan blowing directly on the GPU and it still black screened. I know this GPU is good, because I pulled it directly out of my old build (it ran hot during stress tests, but never black screened). I was thinking that maybe the PSU is the culprit, but before I RMA it, does anyone here have any other ideas what could cause this issue? Much appreciated.

Solution
How long did the black screen last? few seconds and then it resets? Because then is your GPU failing.
Install afterburner from MSI just for the OSD, not for overclocking. Check if you are thermal throtteling or anything just to get more info.

matthijsv98

Distinguished
May 14, 2014
How long did the black screen last? few seconds and then it resets? Because then is your GPU failing.
Install afterburner from MSI just for the OSD, not for overclocking. Check if you are thermal throtteling or anything just to get more info.

Solution