Question GPU Stuck

Apr 18, 2022
Hi. I'm a new time builder and just finished my build about a week ago. I got a new backplate for my gpu and decided to install it. I removed the screws and unplugged everything from my gpu and decided to pull it out. Half way through I realized I never pushed the pcie retention clip and now the gpu is stuck. I tried to push thr clip but it's no use. The card is only a small way out.

I have had a similar problem with stubborn PCI clips for add-in cards not releasing (not just GPUs). If you have one of the two clips that is not releasing, you need to force the GPU back down to install where the clips go back up. The GPU should be released equally on both sides from those lock down clips so do not try and lift it out until both are released and it is pulled straight out level on both sides (as it should be inserted). I use takeout food chopsticks to get in there and force them to release if the space is too tight for my fingers (and it is these days with larger GPUs).

Apr 18, 2022
Thank for the reply. Your saying to push the gpu back in but how much force is needed. I tried to push it back in the pcie slot but I stopped because I think I might break something by pushing to hard.