GPU sudden failure - system won't POST.

DarkEvonik

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
Hello!

Context:

I have an MSI AMD Radeon R9 270x HAWK installed in my system since early 2014, never had any problems with it since recently, where it won't let my PC even POST when it's connected and powered.

Problem description and symphtoms:

About a week ago I was shutting my PC down after using it for gaming for a couple of hours (had no issues at all while doing so) and then the PC froze at the windows shutting down screen. I proceeded to shut it down manually.

Next day when i tried to turn it on, the PC didn't even POST, just stayed powered on, even after leaving it a couple of minutes it wouldn't react. I removed the GPU and tried to boot. The PC did turn on normally using the integrated GPU.

After finding out it was not the motherboard's fault, i tested the GPU in another motherboard and got the same problem again, no POST.

Now this is where I find this problem quite strange, if I boot using the motherboard's GPU and select the option in the BIOS to force to do so, and then also leave the GPU connected, the system boots. As I did this the first time, I had some issues with BSODs, due to the driver crashing, had to remove the driver in safe mode using a GPU driver removal tool (guru3D's DDU).

I got into safe mode and the PC booted correctly. Then i started diagnosing with Device manager, I found out that the GPU was recognized, also in atiwinflash (a BIOS flash utility).

dnsomcL.jpg

DjglG2X.jpg

So this is where i'd like to have some input from you, as I don't really know what's up with the card and what would be the next course of action to take to try to fix it, if it's possible.

More screenshots and information here