Question GPU suddenly loses signal

Dec 25, 2020
Hello all, long time lurker first time poster. I’m really stumped on what to do here. This is a rundown of what is happening:

my PC was going completely fine, no issues at all since I put it together about year and a half ago. Yesterday when I stopped playing Call of Duty it randomly showed no input detected on both monitors before I exited the game. Didn’t think anything of it and just manually shut down. Today when I loaded up call of duty it played for about 10 mins and then said no input detected again on both monitors. I thought maybe it was a call of duty issue so I booted cyberpunk and got the same issue before it even booted all the way. I noticed when it gives me this my GPU fans suddenly start spinning extremely fast and loud. What I have done to try and fix it is this:

1. “did you try turning it off and on again?”
  2. tried different DisplayPort cables and then HDMI cables
  3. removed GPU, cleaned it as well as all other components and reinstalled
  4. tried GPU in my second pcie port
  5. fresh install of nvidia drivers
  6. Ensured all psu connections were tight and also ensured firm plug into wall
here are my specs:

asus rog strix 2080ti
Ryzen 9 3900x
Asus TUF x570 mobo
Corsair vengeance 16gb ram
2 intake, 1 exhaust fan
Corsair 850w PSU

I’m beginning to think my GPU may be going bad but I’m hoping that’s not the case. Anything else I could try? I should also mention I didn’t overclock or anything like that. I kept it default. Any help is greatly appreciated!

edit 1: I forgot to add i am able to force shutdown and then when I reboot it works. I also did a GPU stress test (FurMark) and it ran at 95% usage for 15 mins straight and didn’t go above 69 degrees and GPU fan RPM was between 2000-2100

puw2

Reputable
Hello all, long time lurker first time poster. I’m really stumped on what to do here. This is a rundown of what is happening:

my PC was going completely fine, no issues at all since I put it together about year and a half ago. Yesterday when I stopped playing Call of Duty it randomly showed no input detected on both monitors before I exited the game. Didn’t think anything of it and just manually shut down. Today when I loaded up call of duty it played for about 10 mins and then said no input detected again on both monitors. I thought maybe it was a call of duty issue so I booted cyberpunk and got the same issue before it even booted all the way. I noticed when it gives me this my GPU fans suddenly start spinning extremely fast and loud. What I have done to try and fix it is this:

1. “did you try turning it off and on again?”
  2. tried different DisplayPort cables and then HDMI cables
  3. removed GPU, cleaned it as well as all other components and reinstalled
  4. tried GPU in my second pcie port
  5. fresh install of nvidia drivers
  6. Ensured all psu connections were tight and also ensured firm plug into wall
here are my specs:

asus rog strix 2080ti
Ryzen 9 3900x
Asus TUF x570 mobo
Corsair vengeance 16gb ram
2 intake, 1 exhaust fan
Corsair 850w PSU

I’m beginning to think my GPU may be going bad but I’m hoping that’s not the case. Anything else I could try? I should also mention I didn’t overclock or anything like that. I kept it default. Any help is greatly appreciated!

edit 1: I forgot to add i am able to force shutdown and then when I reboot it works. I also did a GPU stress test (FurMark) and it ran at 95% usage for 15 mins straight and didn’t go above 69 degrees and GPU fan RPM was between 2000-2100
The gpu fans going mental is a sign of your card giving up but judging by the fact that you can run furmark for about 15mins straight at 95% usage can point to a malfunctioning psu aswell.

You can try and reset your cmos and do an atx reset and see if that'll help.

Dec 25, 2020
The gpu fans going mental is a sign of your card giving up but judging by the fact that you can run furmark for about 15mins straight at 95% usage can point to a malfunctioning psu aswell.

You can try and reset your cmos and do an atx reset and see if that'll help.
Thank you! I’ll try the resets today and get a new PSU tomorrow when everything opens back up. I’ll update if anything works!

ASK THE COMMUNITY