[SOLVED] GPU suddenly stopped working ?

Sep 30, 2021
My 2 Year old rx570 stopped working all of a sudden, I see power pass through it because the LEDs turn on and the fans turn on for a split second. I know it’s just the GPU because when I replaced it with a worse one my PC would turn on.
I send it to a tech shop that said it might be a short circuit and I’d be better off buying a new GPU. But the problem with this is it would be too expensive as we all know. They couldn’t fix it as they didn’t specialize in that type of fixing. Does anyone know a potential cheap and easy fix to this?

Solution
L
My 2 Year old rx570 stopped working all of a sudden, I see power pass through it because the LEDs turn on and the fans turn on for a split second. I know it’s just the GPU because when I replaced it with a worse one my PC would turn on.
I send it to a tech shop that said it might be a short circuit and I’d be better off buying a new GPU. But the problem with this is it would be too expensive as we all know. They couldn’t fix it as they didn’t specialize in that type of fixing. Does anyone know a potential cheap and easy fix to this?
Unfortunately when a GPU dies there’s no way of fixing it the “cheap” or “easy”, if you have experience with circuit boards or soldering then there is but if you don’t then it’s not easy.

the...
Unfortunately....there probably isn't one.

The problem with these types of failures is that in the vast majority of these cases....the time involved in diagnosing and performing the repair (time is money) is more than a new replacement is worth.

You could open the gpu up and poke around and maybe you will see something obvious....but I think most likely you wont.....or you will...but the repair will be very difficult.....more difficult than the vast majority of people could do.

Reactions: bgunner

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
L
Unfortunately when a GPU dies there’s no way of fixing it the “cheap” or “easy”, if you have experience with circuit boards or soldering then there is but if you don’t then it’s not easy.

the reason this happens is due to heat and I do know rx570’s ram hot as I had one always averaging around 70-80c even with a proper air cooled case, the solder joints on the PCB overtime would melt at some point and then return to its current state, while this repeats over a period of time it would start to crack and it’ll lose contact to its solder joints or PCB then it wouldn’t turn on maybe like with your case.

if that is the case you could use a heat gun and blow if over the PCB for a couple of minutes or even use an oven (note that doing the oven one is pretty dangerous and after this you won’t be able to use it the oven for awhile due to all the fumes released from the PCB’s components or chemicals), then yeah you could give that a chance if you’re desperate.

honestly it’s best to save up for a newer GPU even a 1660s/TI/non TI would work great for you and it’s more power efficient, or better yet get a 1080TI as their prices the same as a 1660 GPU, but being in the used market you need to be careful who you get it from and look at the photos.

same happened with my gigabyte windforce G1 970, died out of nowhere while gaming at night, it would turn on and show display but had like glitched lines and screen wasn’t displayed at full res more like 480p and when it tried to install drivers it would crash. Although this is different story, probably a memory or a chip got fried and would work correctly.

Last edited:
Solution