[SOLVED] GPU suggestions for professional Video editing/VFX work

Miltostak

Commendable
Aug 16, 2019
Hello guys. I have been researching about my new build specifically for 4K/6K Video editing and VFX work on Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects & Davinci Resolve.

The video codecs that I usually deal with are Blackmagic Raw & ProRes but I also want an acceptable performance with more compressed codecs like H.265. Also, I want to be able to work without proxies and also keep the preview resolution at Full. I have been watching the "Tech Notice" channel on YouTube that helped me very much to understand a lot about the parts but still, I'm not an expert. Here is the build that I' ve come up with:

• CPU: Ryzen 5950X
  • MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
  • GPU: RTX 3080Ti
  • RAM: 64GB Patriot Viper 4 3600mHz
  • SSD for operating programs: 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0
  • SSD for project files: 2TB Samsung 970

My biggest concern right now is purchasing this specific GPU, as it costs as much as all the other parts right now. Do you think I can get away with a 3080 or even a 3070? I also want the build to be futureproof for up to 8K footage. I would really appreciate your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
If futureproofing is your goal, then getting the latest and greatest is the way to go. In fact, that route is often costly. People state future proofing but in reality the way technology is making advancements, you don't see tech remaining stagnant for 3 months, as time goes forward this time frame will go down. If budget is a concern then you're fine with either of the cars you've mentioned. You could go with an RTX3070Ti as well.

What PSU are you pairing with that build?

Lutfij

Titan
If futureproofing is your goal, then getting the latest and greatest is the way to go. In fact, that route is often costly. People state future proofing but in reality the way technology is making advancements, you don't see tech remaining stagnant for 3 months, as time goes forward this time frame will go down. If budget is a concern then you're fine with either of the cars you've mentioned. You could go with an RTX3070Ti as well.

Reactions: Miltostak
Solution

Miltostak

Commendable
Aug 16, 2019

Well, by futureproof I mean for at least the next 5 years. 4k is standard for many things right now and I want to be fine with 6k too in the future. Thanks for your suggestion.

I plan to use a Corsair RM1000x with that build.