[SOLVED] GPU suggestions

MacWhinny

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Hi, i'd like some helpful advice on what the best GPU would be comparable with my setup.

Here is my setup:

Overclocked Intel® Core™i5-4670k Quad Core (3.40GHz @ max 4.20GHz)

ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z87: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, THERMAL ARMOR

3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

16GB ram

Samsung 860 evo 1tb SSD

I'm looking at the GTX 1070 maybe 1070TI, but would like to find out if my setup would be able to handle it.

Would be much appreciated

MacWhinny

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Ok, just to confirm that a I7 4790k would work with a Z87 motherboard? Do you know what the latest chip-set that board could even run. Last i checked, my research shows that i couldn't use the i7 later chip-sets.

Guess i'll be waiting for cyber Monday then :D

MacWhinny

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
hmmm, maybe i read an old post (Not the updated chip-set list) then.

One last thing, my power pack. Would that be enough juice for the i7 4790k and a GTX 1070ti?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Don't get a 4790k unless you can get a good deal on a used one. Now that Ryzen and newer Intels have upped the core count, older Intel chips are typically really poor value. I.e. in many cases you can buy a new mobo + better CPU for the price of the older CPU.

Any GPU will work with your motherboard.

What resolution/refresh rate is your monitor?

Reactions: sizzling
Don't get a 4790k unless you can get a good deal on a used one. Now that Ryzen and newer Intels have upped the core count, older Intel chips are typically really poor value. I.e. in many cases you can buy a new mobo + better CPU for the price of the older CPU.

Any GPU will work with your motherboard.

What resolution/refresh rate is your monitor?
I agree with this. Typically the i7 4770k/4790k are expensive for the performance given. Yes they are better than the 4670k but they are still behind any modern i5 or similar priced Ryzen setup. It is likely with a 4770k/4790k you would soon find yourself wanting to upgrade again.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the info. Good to know. Thing is. the i7 4790k is the most my Motherboard is rated for. Says the list of CPUs it says it can handle.

This site. https://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=2087&cpuList=Asus Sabertooth Z87 How upto date that is i'm unsure.
Yes, the 4790K is the best CPU your motherboard supports. My point was that you may be better off getting a new CPU + mobo + DDR4 rather than getting an overpriced 4790K for the sake of sticking with your current mobo.

MacWhinny

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Right i understand.

Only reason i'm looking at upgrading my CPU was because my GPU seems to of hit the dust and was looking at upgrading the GPU but that would encounter CPU bottlenecks