[SOLVED] GPU suggestions

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I recently upgraded my entire system down to the case, EXCEPT for the GPU (there might be some philosophical question buried in there if it's an upgrade or a whole new PC at this point). New build is a Ryzen 7 3700x with 32GB DDR4 and the old GPU is an RX 570 4GB. The GPU is perfectly fine for the games I'm playing (more FPS on higher settings would always be nice, but it's not stopping me from playing anything). Monitor is a 2560x1080 ultrawide.

The issue is that I'm trying to sculpt and texture terrain with World Creator and Unreal Engine, which seems to be very GPU reliant when I'm working on an 8k map. Minimum specs for World Creator are listed as NVIDIA 760 GTX with 8GB ram, and recommended are listed as NVIDIA 980 GTX with 16GB of ram , but it's chugging along at 100% GPU use when I start getting into more detail. Looks like it's barely using the CPU at all.

My plan was to wait a few more months and see how things go with the new AMD releases and the availability of the new NVIDIA line, but this is killing my workflow and I probably need to upgrade sooner than later.

I think I'd be very happy to grab a 5700xt, but that price is a little beyond what I have available right now. Part of my reason for waiting wasn't just to see what's new, but to save up more money. So I'm probably limited to more in the $200 range. Is there anything at all out there right now that would be worth it in that price range and give me enough of a boost over the 570? Or should I keep suffering with what I have until I can afford one of the higher end cards?

Solution
I was wondering about the 5600xt, if it's a good value right now or if it's going to fall behind pretty hard when the new cards come out.

I don't know how much I trust ebay, but I've seen some new ones on Newegg and Amazon under $300 with sales or rebates.

It might still be a good value card as it offers the best performance at it’s price point as of now. It might fall behind due to large difference in performance for something like a 3060 ti and it’s AMD equivalents in future at just a little more maybe 349.99 and 399.99.

Figure out what suits you best, many 5600XTs are $289-300. So if you want to get one they are plenty cheap. Specifically power color’s model which I’d say is nice.
Oct 26, 2020
I’d maybe wait to get a 5700XT is what I’d say or get a 5500XT. Otherwise steer clear of attempting to wait to get your hands on anything new as you might be waiting longer than you should.

BradHP

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I was wondering about the 5600xt, if it's a good value right now or if it's going to fall behind pretty hard when the new cards come out.

I don't know how much I trust ebay, but I've seen some new ones on Newegg and Amazon under $300 with sales or rebates.

Oct 26, 2020

It might still be a good value card as it offers the best performance at it’s price point as of now. It might fall behind due to large difference in performance for something like a 3060 ti and it’s AMD equivalents in future at just a little more maybe 349.99 and 399.99.

Figure out what suits you best, many 5600XTs are $289-300. So if you want to get one they are plenty cheap. Specifically power color’s model which I’d say is nice.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS