[SOLVED] GPU suspectly dead but fan still spinning?

Ron Kinderz

Reputable
Jul 1, 2016
OK, so this is weird, or maybe not, you tell me.
My computer started rebooting when I was playing Destiny 2, not rightaway but after playing a while.
Today I tried playing Battlefield V twice, both times computer rebooted right after the game started.
So I figured an overheat or maybe a power issue.
I tried connecting the PC directly to the power socket instead via UPS, when i did that the display stopped showing at all, meaning the computer turns on and loads but no display, when switching back to the UPS, this situation maintained.
The thing is the GPU LED is on and the fan is spinning. I tried HDMI, DVI, DP, none works.

Relevant Specs:
SeaSonic S12G Gold Active PFC 750W
GeForce 780 TI

Would appreciate your help. I have no other system to do troubleshooting with.
Ron

Solution
Unfortunately, LEDs and fans are trivial scheme of things, and are no indication of a 'working' GPU - fans can be spinning, LEDs lit etc on a dead GPU.

Beyond rebooting, were there any other indications? Artifacting maybe? Were you monitoring temps at all?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unfortunately, LEDs and fans are trivial scheme of things, and are no indication of a 'working' GPU - fans can be spinning, LEDs lit etc on a dead GPU.

Beyond rebooting, were there any other indications? Artifacting maybe? Were you monitoring temps at all?

Solution

Ron Kinderz

Reputable
Jul 1, 2016

Thanks for the reply, no they weren't any other problems or artifacting, I didn't monitor the temps at real time while playing, it seemed normal overall. the thing is that it doesn't feel warm at all, well maybe because it can be dead now.
Anyway of verifying it without another GPU or system?

TRENDING THREADS