[SOLVED] GPU/System Upgrade Question

neywherkx

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015
Hello,

I'm interested in upgrading my PC unfortunately I haven't done so since the end of 2017. Specifically I'm interested in updating my GPU as it's beginning to show its age especially in some of the newer more demanding titles.

My current system:
Case : Cooler Master HAF 912
CPU : Ryzen 5 1600x
RAM : Team T-Force Dark Pro 16GB 3200
MOBO : ASUS ROG x370-F Gaming
PSU : EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold
SSD : MyDigitalSSD BPX 480GB
HDD : 2 x 3TB WD Black, 1TB WD Black
GFX : Radeon RX 580

I wanted to check in with those more knowledgeable than myself to see if my system would be able to handle just a GPU upgrade or would it bottleneck a high-end GPU to the point where it would be more of a benefit to upgrade the whole thing.

I would like to update the RX 580 to either a 3080 or 6800 XT. Also, would these new cards even fit in my case?

Thanks

Solution
with that 1600x you would not be able to see the full potential of a higher end card like RTX 3080 or RX 6800 XT.
but you could always upgrade the motherboard & CPU later on if you could find one of those cards for a decent price now.
just make sure that you find a variant of those cards that only requires a 750w power supply or that would also need an upgrade, many of them require 850w.

the HAF 912 shouldn't have any problem fitting larger modern cards as long as you remove the drive cage.
if it doesn't leave you with enough room for your drives you could always move them to an external dock.
or just get a better case with more options.
with that 1600x you would not be able to see the full potential of a higher end card like RTX 3080 or RX 6800 XT.
but you could always upgrade the motherboard & CPU later on if you could find one of those cards for a decent price now.
just make sure that you find a variant of those cards that only requires a 750w power supply or that would also need an upgrade, many of them require 850w.

the HAF 912 shouldn't have any problem fitting larger modern cards as long as you remove the drive cage.
if it doesn't leave you with enough room for your drives you could always move them to an external dock.
or just get a better case with more options.

Solution

neywherkx

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015
Thanks for the prompt response.

I have one more question if you happen to look back around to this post. I was looking at CPU compatibility with my motherboard and it appears that the Ryzen 3000's still used the AM4 socket. Do you think that a Ryzen 3600 or 3800 would be able to see the full potential of the higher end card or is would that still be too far back?