[SOLVED] "GPU Temp 2" Sustained 110 C During Gameplay.

Aug 17, 2020
Hey yall,

I was playing some Astroneer, when I noticed my "GPU Temperature 2" was around 110 degrees C. I use MSI afterburner, but the "Auto" fan speed was disabled so the fans were locked at the lowest speed. Turned off the game and re-enabled the fan, temps quickly went back down to idle (34C GPU 1 / 38C GPU 2).

Checked the history, and the GPU Temp 2 was at around 110 C for about 20 minutes, while "GPU Temperature" was sitting at around 95 C. I saw someone say that AMD claimed 110C is normal for "GPU 2" but I thought the general rule was 100 degrees max.

Will this cause any damage to the GPU?

Also, some googling said that the two different temps refer to different parts (edge and junction?) of the GPU and to ignore the higher GPU 2 temps. Is there any reason for that?

Thanks,

Solution
Hey yall,

I was playing some Astroneer, when I noticed my "GPU Temperature 2" was around 110 degrees C. I use MSI afterburner, but the "Auto" fan speed was disabled so the fans were locked at the lowest speed. Turned off the game and re-enabled the fan, temps quickly went back down to idle (34C GPU 1 / 38C GPU 2).

Checked the history, and the GPU Temp 2 was at around 110 C for about 20 minutes, while "GPU Temperature" was sitting at around 95 C. I saw someone say that AMD claimed 110C is normal for "GPU 2" but I thought the general rule was 100 degrees max.

Also, some googling said that the two different temps refer to different parts (edge and junction?) of the GPU and to ignore the...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Hey yall,

Also, some googling said that the two different temps refer to different parts (edge and junction?) of the GPU and to ignore the higher GPU 2 temps. Is there any reason for that?

Thanks,
It's fine, although it's about as hot as it should get. Temp 2 isn't measuring just on the GPU die itself, rather it also accounts to other components like VRMs (which do get pretty hot --hotter than the corresponding component that it delivers power to). Plus, it's an edge reading of the highest recorded temps, not average.

That said, if you don't mind the noise, just run a fan curve or let Auto do its work. GPUs get hot these days what with them being higher and higher wattage.

Reactions: guy272
Solution
Aug 17, 2020
It's fine, although it's about as hot as it should get. Temp 2 isn't measuring just on the GPU die itself, rather it also accounts to other components like VRMs (which do get pretty hot --hotter than the corresponding component that it delivers power to). Plus, it's an edge reading of the highest recorded temps, not average.

That said, if you don't mind the noise, just run a fan curve or let Auto do its work. GPUs get hot these days what with them being higher and higher wattage.

Awesome, thank you for the good news. I normally have a fairly aggressive fan curve within MSI Afterburner, it normally defaults to my presets, but this time it defaulted to the minimum. I must have messed with something previously without realizing it.

Thanks for the help!

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Awesome, thank you for the good news. I normally have a fairly aggressive fan curve within MSI Afterburner, it normally defaults to my presets, but this time it defaulted to the minimum. I must have messed with something previously without realizing it.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah I recall an infrequent bug on MSI Afterburner just like that --settings changing over reboots. Can't remember the exact details, haven't tinkered with fan profiles or OCing for a year or so. Good luck man.